Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Elaine T

spiral_72 wrote:

The neighbors have goats..... I wonder how goats respond to 1/4" steel
debris traveling at the speed of sound? and a shock wave?

"Da Bomb" = "Da Goat Bomb"

I have a sudden very odd mental picture of goats in flak jackets!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 07-02-2005, 03:45 PM
spiral_72

IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!! IT WORKS!!!

AHA! o.k....... the news.

Things didn't start out well at all. I cross threaded my plug (I have
no idea how) and at 40 threads per inch..... they were pretty much
immediately wasted, which means the top of the tank was wasted,
cause'it's welded in. In an effort to ward off defeat I welded the plug
in the top of the tank. Hey, I had to make a new one anyways, right?

Next problem was, how the heck am I supposed to get the dry ice in the
tank? Anyways to make a long story short....
I put about 1/2 a pound of dry ice and about 1/4 cup of water in a hole
for 3/8"pipe and put the regulator back on, closed the bleed valve and
closed the regulator. it took about 60 seconds to steadily build 60psi
at which point I found a leak. In my hurry I forgot to put teflon tape
back on the regulator pipe (where I inserted the ice). CRAP!
I had to leave, The previous problems took too long. I was already 10
minutes later for an appointment. I dropped everything and left.
Hopefully tomorrow I can start the tank repair.

I will note that 1/2 pound of dry ice sublimates into A LOT of
volume... I actually bled off all the pressure at one point and closed
the valve again. The pressure built back steadily to around 60psi and
held. Very cool stuff.... I can't wait to fix my tank. I wish I knew a
better way to cap the thing. Any ideas? Remember, it could be about
1200psi we are talking about.