Old 25-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Papa Red

Default Is the Pothos plant okay for freshwater aquariums?

I have tons of these plants that not only are growing all over in my
neighbourhood, it is treated like a weed and pulled out of the ground
and thrown away. Thanks for any information that you can supply me with
about this plant, and any other kinds of plants that I might find
growing here on Miami Beach, Florida, that I could safely grow in my
freshwater aquariums.
Pax Vobiscum,...~Dean.

Old 25-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Elaine T

Papa Red wrote:
I have tons of these plants that not only are growing all over in my
neighbourhood, it is treated like a weed and pulled out of the ground
and thrown away. Thanks for any information that you can supply me with
about this plant, and any other kinds of plants that I might find
growing here on Miami Beach, Florida, that I could safely grow in my
freshwater aquariums.
Pax Vobiscum,...~Dean.

Pothos is a tropical vine native to Indonesia and southeast Asia. I saw
huge pothos vines climbing trees in the rainforest in Malaysia. The
leaves were the size of dinner plates and the vines climbed over 30 ft.
high. I was amazed at the difference between that and my little potted
pothos.

I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

There is a lovely plant called Mayaca fluviatilis or bog moss that is
native to southern Florida streams and also sold at fish stores.
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/maflpic.html It looks sort of like Rotala
wallichii and grows easily under moderate light.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 26-01-2005, 05:27 AM
Papa Red

Thank you for the useful information Elaine. I shall be on the look out
for those plants in my area, and will try and do the same with some of
the Pothos here as what you have done. I need to get my aquatic
creatures, plants and equipment just as cheaply as possible, because I
am on Social Security Disability, and have very little spare money.
By the way,...I have a Hewlett-Packard e-scanner which I utilize to
post scans of my cartoon characters [used to create personalized
drawings to cheer folks up, or as thank you's], as well as using my
second-hand camcorder to post photos of my critters, including my
freshwater fish,...But I have been told that even though I can post them
to others who also have MSNWebtv [the poorman's computer] and in the
MSNWebtv newsgroups, that I can't post them to certain computers and
certain non-MSNWebtv newsgroups. My question is, is this one of those
newsgroups that I can't post my scans and photos in, and also if it is,
were I to instead post to you directly one of my hand-drawn cartoon
characters [a bear or a giraffe, or dog, or whatever, saying, "Thank You
Elaine!"], as a thank you, would your computer be able to handle it? Pax
Vobiscum,...~Dean.

Old 26-01-2005, 08:12 AM
Elaine T

Papa Red wrote:
[...]

Glad you found the info helpful. I hope you can find some wild Mayaca.
It's beautiful stuff once it starts growing in a tank. From reading
around the web, you may also find other common aquarium plants

There is a newsgroup called alt.binaries.aquaria where you can post
scans and photos. I don't know whether you can get it on MSNWebtv.
Posting them here wouldn't be polite since folks don't expect large
files in this newsgroup. You can also email me directly, by removing
the nospam_ from my email addy. If the images from your scanner are
..gif, .tif, .jpg, or .bmp, I should be able to see them without a
problem. Cartoons sound like fun!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 26-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Papa Red wrote:
[...]

Hi Dean;
You might be able to post a picture here but there''s sort of a convention
that we don't do that, this newsfroup is for text discussion only and pics
get posted to alt.binaries.aquaria.

What Elaine said about Mayaca cannot be overstated. It's a stunning
plant. Worth looking for IMO.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Old 26-01-2005, 07:20 PM
Papa Red

I tried a long time ago to post at that other newsgroup, but MSNWebtv
doesn't get that newsgroup,...C'est la vie, mon ami,...Such is life my
friend.
Besides Elaine, who else here wants me to post to them one of my
cartoon critters saying something that is personalzed with your name in
the phrase or what ever, or purhaps that of someone else, like with a
son or daughter's name? Pax Vobiscum,...~Dean.

Old 27-01-2005, 06:38 AM
js1

On 2005-01-25, Elaine T wrote:
I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

This is how I use my pothos as well. Sometimes it takes a while for the
roots to sprout, but once it does, new leaves aren't far behind.

Old 27-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Ozdude

On 2005-01-25, Elaine T wrote:
I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

This is how I use my pothos as well. Sometimes it takes a while for the
roots to sprout, but once it does, new leaves aren't far behind.

Is this the plant also known as "Devils Ivy"?

Where are these roots? In the filter or in the tank itself?

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Old 27-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Elaine T

Ozdude wrote:

On 2005-01-25, Elaine T wrote:

I grow clippings of pothos with roots in the water and vines growing
across the hood and trailing down the tank. It gives the tank itself a
nice, natural look and pulls nitrates out of the water without my having
to worry about CO2. My understanding is that pothos can't grow fully
submerged. None of mine have ever shown any inclination to sprout
submerged leaves - only roots.

This is how I use my pothos as well. Sometimes it takes a while for the
roots to sprout, but once it does, new leaves aren't far behind.

Is this the plant also known as "Devils Ivy"?

Where are these roots? In the filter or in the tank itself?

Oz

Yes, Pothos is known as Devils Ivy. The latin name is Epipremnum
pinnatum cv. 'Aureum' or Epipremnum aureum. I root the pothos directly
in the tank. I'm not sure how I you could go about cleaning a filter
with roots in it without disturbing them too much, unless you have a sump.

To root the pothos, remove the leaves from the bottom two or three nodes
and submerge them. Put the vines somewhere across the hood or down the
outside of the tank where they receive moderate light. I sometimes use
an airline suction cup or some masking tape to hold the vines in place.
Pothos is not at all demanding. In time, roots will sprout at the
nodes and start to grow down into the tank. In small tanks, I've had
them actually reach the substrate.

--
Elaine T
at work and my .sig file isn't

Old 28-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Papa Red

Did you get the e-mail with the cartoon that I drew? I hope so, and
I hope that you could see the drawing.
Today I purchased nine more Fancy Guppy females,....and I'm beginning
to worry that I'm becoming like one of those old Ladies who are said to
have one too many cats, except with me it's fish,...Does any of y'all
know if there is such a thing as "Fish-o-holic Anonymous"???LOL
Seriously now, let me know if you got and could see the cartoon that I
drew. And I am breeding and raising Fancy Guppys, and babys,...So if
there is anything that any of you folks would like to share with me
about that subject it would be much appreciated. Pax Vobiscum,...~Dean.