GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   That's it, I've had it - Blue Green Algae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/89763-thats-ive-had-blue-green-algae.html)

Shawn 13-02-2005 04:15 PM

That's it, I've had it - Blue Green Algae

I can't take it any more. I simply cannot beat or keep up with the
blue-green algae outbreak I've had now for about 5 months. I've tried
everything. Blacking out the tank, removing my CO2 system, algicide
treatments - nothing works. It makes my tanks look like crap, and it's
killing all my plants. Their leaves are coated with thick slimy green
sheets of blue-green algae, and they're falling apart little by little. My
plants used to thrive and my tank was lush. My community fish species don't
seem to care one way or another, but for me it's just simply not a joy to
watch my tank anymore.

So now, looks like I face a compete take down. But I have some questions :

1) Do blue-green algae cells die when dried, or do they just do dormant ?
The BGA is infused through my gravel substrate so I need to completely wash
that out when I take down. But do I need to treat it when bleach to ensure
BGA's death ? Or will just rinsing and rinsing and rinsing and then drying
for a while do the trick ?

2) Can I save my plants ? These seems to be the things most covered by BGA.
Right down into the roots in the gravel substrate. Can I bleach-dip the
plants and kill the algae ? Or am I better off throwing them out and
starting over ?

3) My driftwood pieces are also covered in BGA. Should I boil ? Dry ?
Bleach ? What about other things like my filter components. If BGA just
goes dormant when dried, then something more drastic needs to be done to
ensure I complete do away with it, other than just drying.

4) How should I treat my empty tank and for how long ?

Thanks about it. Any other thoughts/advice would be well appreciated.
Thanks.

Shawn

Richard Sexton 13-02-2005 06:02 PM

Have you tried large water changes and adding kno3? That's how I get
rid of it.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Shawn 13-02-2005 09:56 PM

Where can I get KNO3 ? Is that availabe at a LFS ? I do weekly large water
changes - nearly the entire tank actually, leaving just enough for the fish
to keep swimming, before I refill. Then I treat with something called
"ALGAEFIX". This knocked the crap out the BGA (as well as making the rest
of my plants look quite poor), and I contined the treatment for several
weeks, as it said in the directions. But once I stopped, with another
couple weeks the BGA reappeared and gradually got worse again. I don't want
to have to maintain my tank forever on medicine and chemicals. I ran it for
the first 4 years without a single breakout.

Shawn

[email protected] 14-02-2005 01:53 AM

Shawn you will never have good results at prevention/reoccurance
without using KNO3.

That's a plant nutrient, antibiotics, algefix etc etc etc etc etc are
not.

The focus is growing the plants, not becoming versed in algicdal
products.
I find them to totally useless.

I might use H2O2. bleacj to clean equipment, but I jyust trim and
vacuum the algae out, that never harms the plants and removes the
problem.

BGA/Green water need killed and removed, or they will come back after
you correct the evnvironmental issues that caused the algae.

A 3 day blackout
50% water at the start and the end
Adding 1/4 teaspoon per 25 gal after each water change
Then adding 1/4 teaspoon at least 1-2x a week thereafter will prevent
BGA and other algae from ever bothering you.

Your plants will grow much better as well.

Algaefix, Antibiotics, Myacan, Snake oils will never make your plants
grow better.

3 day blackout is free.
Those are not.

try ordering from Greg www.gregwatson.com

Get:

2lbs or so KNO3
1 lb KH2PO4
1 lb Trace mix with Boron.

Dirt cheap and these actually grow plants and are very easy to dose and
add.

BGA will infect a tasnk about 1-2 months after treatment.
It's always there, so treating the reason why it appears..........poor
plant growth(even if you might not think so) will help prevent any
algae, not just BGA.

Just do this and do all of this advice and you will not have any BGA.
If you delete the KNO3, the BGA will simply come back.

The fisgh should remain in the tank etc, turn off the CO2.
The plants will be fine and live through 3 days of blackout, they are
sent via mail and can easily handle 3 days in the dark.

Regards,
Tom Barr

will

Richard Sexton 14-02-2005 02:10 PM

In article ,
Shawn wrote:
Where can I get KNO3 ? Is that availabe at a LFS ? I do weekly large water
changes - nearly the entire tank actually, leaving just enough for the fish
to keep swimming, before I refill. Then I treat with something called
"ALGAEFIX". This knocked the crap out the BGA (as well as making the rest
of my plants look quite poor), and I contined the treatment for several
weeks, as it said in the directions. But once I stopped, with another
couple weeks the BGA reappeared and gradually got worse again. I don't want
to have to maintain my tank forever on medicine and chemicals. I ran it for
the first 4 years without a single breakout.

Ah, ok, the algaefix killed off the firendly bacteria and your
tank is a now going through the algae succession that occurs with
new tank syndrome.

Change 80% of the water a day. On about the 4th day it should be almost
all gone. Keep doing it till it is.

Marcyn is overkill. Water changes alone will fix this, you don't need
more chemnicals. You were right ion figuring out algaefix would eradicate BA
though.

kno3 is potassium nitrate. blue green alage thrices in low nitrate
conditions. Hydroponics stores are the best source of this as nitrate
from a petshop fertilizer bottyle is stupid expensive.

Don't you just love that smell of blue gree n alage?

spiral_72 14-02-2005 03:36 PM

Hey, I am fighting with the same stuff. I had small patches at 30w of
light. Now that I run 150W I can hardly keep ahead of the stuff, I am
going to try to control phosphates first. I'll let you know haow that
turns out.

my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

steve 14-02-2005 05:18 PM

wrote:
Shawn you will never have good results at prevention/reoccurance
without using KNO3.

I took this advice and it has worked for me so far. I did the blackout
for 4 days in my large tank and I make sure to add a small amount of
KN03 weekly at water change time. I monitor the Nitrates and
Phosphates throughout the week and only add KNO3 when the measurable
nitrates are below 5ppm.

A 3 day blackout
50% water at the start and the end
Adding 1/4 teaspoon KN03 per 25 gal after each water change
Then adding 1/4 teaspoon at least 1-2x a week thereafter will prevent
BGA and other algae from ever bothering you.

This is sound advice, as I recommended above. However, I think Tom is
assumming we all have aquatic jungles with low fish loads when he
advises to add KNO3 twice weekly thereafter. Sure, it will ward off
BGA, but without sufficient plant growth you will suffer a green algae
breakout in my experience.

try ordering from Greg
www.gregwatson.com

Get:

2lbs or so KNO3
1 lb KH2PO4
1 lb Trace mix with Boron.

I took this advice also and over did it. Once again, I had what I felt
were alot of plants. Hey, it was more than I ever had! At the time I
had 5 $2.99 bunches of plants and some java fern in a 55g tank. When I
added KH2P04 and KNO3, in no time I had green algae covering every
surface in the tank. Nice furry hairy stuff. It took bleach dips and
massive water changes to clear it. Now, I closely monitor both
nitrates and P04 (phosphate) and only add KN03 and KH2P04 when
necessary. In fact, I haven't dosed with KH2P04 again. I've since
bought some KCI potassium and use that for my K dosing. Now my tank is
running fine. I've also added many more plants and I expect to be
seeing my nitrate levels diminish throughout the week. I haven't yet
though, because the fish food going in has not yet equaled the plant
usage.

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/plantsFeb13.jpg

Just do this and do all of this advice and you will not have any BGA.
If you delete the KNO3, the BGA will simply come back.

Another data point: In my fry tank I had long term BGA that I finally
had to take care of. The clump of java moss in there was turning into
the blob; a great big slimy ball of gelatnus goo. I used the Emycin
antibiotic treatment to kill the BGA and now use a very small dose of
KNO3 to keep it away.

steve

Richard Sexton 14-02-2005 07:42 PM

In article . com,
steve wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind blue green algae (cyanobacteria) thrives in low nitrate
environments so you shouldn't see it in a tank with a lot of fish.

I don't bother withthe blackout, I want my plants to keep going. I
just changes lots of water.

This is, by the way the problem with using algicides such as peroxide or
algae fix to eradicate the bactraial alage (staghorn, bba, cyanobacteria)
whcih seems to be about the only kinds of alage this stuff kills - once
it's killed the algae you now have the problems that your beneficial
bacteria is gone and the rotting dead alage causes a larger
ammonia problkem than you'd otherwise think. Your crypts will love
you - mmmmmmmmm ammonia - but now you'll get the algae succession
you get with a new tank. So, after using algicide youreally need to
change massiuve amounts of water for a while IMO.

Richard Sexton 14-02-2005 07:47 PM

In article .com,
spiral_72 wrote:
Hey, I am fighting with the same stuff. I had small patches at 30w of
light. Now that I run 150W I can hardly keep ahead of the stuff, I am
going to try to control phosphates first. I'll let you know haow that
turns out.

If you eradicate all phosphates you'll have alage problems of a different
nature - green spot alage only thrives with low or no phosphates. You
want to keep a nominal phosphate level - plants absolutely need it and
if they run out they'll stop growing and only the algae will then use
the available light and remaining nbutrients.

Change a LOT of water, this will cause the alage to wesken and release
spores to try to stay alive. Change a lkot of wate the next day and you'll
get rid of most of it. Keep doing it and each day you'll have less and
you'll feel much happier about it. In a few days it'll be gone.

Blue green thrives when the plants used up all the nitrates. Just
don't run out of NO3 again and it won't come back.

Bill 15-02-2005 02:05 AM

"Shawn" Spaketh Thusly:

I can't take it any more. I simply cannot beat or keep up with the
blue-green algae outbreak I've had now for about 5 months.

Thanks about it. Any other thoughts/advice would be well appreciated.

I haven't seen any in any of my tanks for a while, but a few years ago I would
get it periodically. Now, I was fighting spots of it and not a whole tank, but
this cured mine for good:
1. Make sure your C02 levels don't fluctuate - keep it as steady as possible.
2. Never skip your water changes - ever (traveling out of state on business
caused me problems).
3. Hydrogen Peroxide - the 3% drugstore brand. 1/4 oz. (that's one quarter of
an ounce of the 3% type) in a 29G tank every two or three days. Apply with a
turkey baster (I got to keep it, my wife didn't want it back, now it's a
permanent part of my aquarium supplies) DIRECTLY on the worst spot. Do the
happy dance as you see it bubble and listen for the BGA screaming in pain :-)
You'll see results the next day. In a bigger tank you can do more, in a
smaller do less. I was very conservative - this amount didn't hurt any fish
and didn't even seem to hurt any bacteria - all my levels stayed the same.
I was able to totally clear out an infestation about the size of a fist in a
week.

I got all the above info here on r.a.f.p, but it was several (3 or 4) years
ago and I can't pin down the time frame close enough to find the thread. I
remember that one person had used at least twice as much as I did and more
often with only very minor problems, but I didn't want to take a chance so I
went very easy with it. If there's no fish in the tank you can use more.

Important: if conditions in the tank are right for it, it WILL come back. Find
and fix the underlying problem while you're clearing it out, or you'll just
have to do it again. And again.

Good luck. Sorry I can't locate the original thread, it had lots of details on
doses and other people's experiences. If you're patient you might be able to
google it up.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net

spiral_72 15-02-2005 04:14 PM

Hey, I think I just found out last night why I am growing so much BGA.
I stopped by the LFS on the way home from work and bought a phosphate
test kit. From what I have read it should be 0-1mg/L..... The test kit
measured 0-5mg/L....... clear to blue. Mine registered off the
scale..... It was a deep purple. Guess I need to take some steps to fix
that ASAP. I figure I can buy those phosphate absorbing pills or add A
LOT more plants...... or both.

What do y'all think?

Bob Alston 15-02-2005 04:18 PM

spiral_72 wrote:
Hey, I think I just found out last night why I am growing so much BGA.
I stopped by the LFS on the way home from work and bought a phosphate
test kit. From what I have read it should be 0-1mg/L..... The test kit
measured 0-5mg/L....... clear to blue. Mine registered off the
scale..... It was a deep purple. Guess I need to take some steps to fix
that ASAP. I figure I can buy those phosphate absorbing pills or add A
LOT more plants...... or both.

What do y'all think?

my aquarium page, info and pics at:
www.geocities.com/spiral_72/Spirals_page.html

50% weekly water changes will help a lot.

Bob