GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Substrate (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/89877-substrate.html)

Danielle 17-02-2005 02:02 AM

Substrate

I've just transformed my 29 gal tank into a planted tank. Added CO2,
lights to make 2 wpg, but I didn't change the substrate. I have just
plain aquarium gravel right now. Will this do OK? I'm assuming there
are plenty of differing opinions, but any suggestions would be helpful.
And can I do anything without emptying the tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tank: 29 gal, moderately planted, 2wpg

Margolis 17-02-2005 12:30 PM

that will be fine as long as the gravel is small (~2mm), especially if it is
old gravel full of mulm. You will need to use some root fertilizer tabs
though.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Ozdude 17-02-2005 02:10 PM

"Margolis" wrote in message
that will be fine as long as the gravel is small (~2mm), especially if it
is
old gravel full of mulm. You will need to use some root fertilizer tabs
though.

Seconded! I added "Dinosaur Dung" fertilizer balls to my substrate two days
ago and already all plants have picked up and are pearling away - it's a
very nice sight.

Now I guess the next thing to learn is to know when to replace the substrate
fertilizer - they say every 12 months on the packet - let's hope so ;)

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

Ozdude 18-02-2005 01:54 PM

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
I added "Dinosaur Dung" fertilizer balls to my substrate two days
ago and already all

So where'd you get the time machine from? :)

It's a thing that they do here in Australia. They don't call things by their
sensible names - it's part of the Australian "character" to use silly names
for sensible things ;)

They are exactly the same in compostion as the german "serious" fertilzer
and clay balls I see around the place ,except they are fresher and made from
local clay. They aren't as dry as the imnported stuff and they are cheaper
20 for $12.00 vs. 7 for $8 of the german equivalents. The german stuff lasts
one year though and the DD only lasts about 6 months max.

They also have a liquid micro-nutrient fertilizer called "Dinosaur Pee" as
well ;)

Any way to answer your question, "the same place my missing Hockey Stick
Tetra went - through an inter-tank stargate" :) :)

All the best,

Oz

Happy'Cam'per 21-02-2005 08:34 AM

:)

--
"In the beginning, God said the four-dimensional divergence of an
antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was Light , and it