Old 18-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Troy Bruder

Default Fuzzy algae..

Hello,

I recently have been treated to a "fuzzy algae" growth all over my plants..
I need some help in identifying the type of algae it is, and how best to
treat it..

I run a UV sterilizer 24x7, but I'm starting to think that maybe the bulb
isn't working (I bought it used and was told the bulb was only three weeks
old).. Hmmmm...

Can anyone help me identify the algae type I have, and a recommended course
of action?

Thanks!
Troy

Old 18-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Ozdude

"Troy Bruder" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently have been treated to a "fuzzy algae" growth all over my
plants.. I need some help in identifying the type of algae it is, and how
best to treat it..

I run a UV sterilizer 24x7, but I'm starting to think that maybe the bulb
isn't working (I bought it used and was told the bulb was only three weeks
old).. Hmmmm...

Can anyone help me identify the algae type I have, and a recommended
course of action?

Well, you could start by giving more information.

What colour is it? How long? What do the strands (if any) look like?

Oz

Old 19-02-2005, 01:58 AM
Nikki Casali

Troy Bruder wrote:
Can anyone help me identify the algae type I have, and a recommended course
of action?

All your questions answered:
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

And more information here than you will ever need:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/algae_gallery.htm

Nikki

Old 19-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Nikki Casali

Troy Bruder wrote:

I run a UV sterilizer 24x7, but I'm starting to think that maybe the bulb
isn't working (I bought it used and was told the bulb was only three weeks
old).. Hmmmm...

BTW, I also have had a UV sterilizer running 24x7 with a new tube and it
apparently makes no visible impact on the fuzz algae stuff. It will only
cure green water, destroy suspended algae, reduce spores etc.

Nikki

Old 19-02-2005, 02:09 AM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Ozdude wrote:

"Troy Bruder" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently have been treated to a "fuzzy algae" growth all over my
plants.. I need some help in identifying the type of algae it is, and how
best to treat it..

I run a UV sterilizer 24x7, but I'm starting to think that maybe the bulb
isn't working (I bought it used and was told the bulb was only three weeks
old).. Hmmmm...

Can anyone help me identify the algae type I have, and a recommended
course of action?

Well, you could start by giving more information.

What colour is it? How long? What do the strands (if any) look like?

Lemme guess, it's bright green and looks like razor stubble but longer;
lots of tiny stalks sticking straight up from the surface of plant
leaves near the light?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Old 19-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Shagster

Ok... It looks a very light green, and appears to be in hair-like
strands... Without posting a pic, does that help?

Old 19-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Ozdude

"Shagster" wrote in message
Ok... It looks a very light green, and appears to be in hair-like
strands... Without posting a pic, does that help?

Yep. sounds like Staghorn

Oz

Old 19-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Robert Flory

"Shagster" wrote in message
That is an EXCELLENT site! Ugh, I think I have a little bit of just about
everything... But the stuff I'm most concerned about appears to be Thread
algae...

Thanks!

Most algae problems can be solved long term by properly balancing nutrients,
CO2 and light. I wiped out a world class growth of BBAand green thread
algae with increase in CO2, nitrates, potassium and traces adn pruning ...
ala Tom Barr. It took some time but the jungle is okay now ;-)
Bob

Old 20-02-2005, 02:11 AM
Ozdude

"Robert Flory" wrote in message

"Shagster" wrote in message
That is an EXCELLENT site! Ugh, I think I have a little bit of just
about everything... But the stuff I'm most concerned about appears to be
Thread algae...

Thanks!

Most algae problems can be solved long term by properly balancing
nutrients, CO2 and light. I wiped out a world class growth of BBAand
green thread algae with increase in CO2, nitrates, potassium and traces
adn pruning ... ala Tom Barr. It took some time but the jungle is okay
now ;-)
Bob

In my experience, what you are stating is very true.

I found the biggest algae "starter" is over feeding fish food. So once you
get this sorted it's a fairly easy thing to get everything else in balance.
I also think it's healthy to allow some green fuzz on rocks and wood, mainly
for the algae eaters, but it also looks good.

It's looks horrible though if there are large areas of glass covered in the
stuff, and indicative that something needs to be blanced in the tank

Oz