Old 19-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Ozdude

Default Pongol?

I bought some new plants the other day and silly me didn't get the botanical
name of it.

It just had Pongol in chinagraph pencil on the tank glass. I bought 4 of
them.

When they were in the tank I noticed they propagate by runners like Val., so
I separated the runners and planted them out.

Then, I looked them up on the Internet and it seems that terrestrial Mondo
Grass is usually sold to the aquarium trade as Pongol Sword. I can't find
Pongol Grass, which is what this looks like - long thin grass.

I have tons of mondo grass in my garden and this stuff doesn't look like
Mondo Grass at all.

Would any one of you plant people possibly know what it could be?
It has long thin leaves that are quite tough, like a thin saggitaria.

It seems to pearl much sooner than any other plants in the tank too.

Perhaps I should just ask the guy at the shop the next time I'm in there?

I believe also that Pongol is an actual Aquatic plant, but I can't seem to
find any reference to the real Pongol.

I have a sneaking suspicion too that it may be a native of New Zealand or
Australia, but I can't find any information on Aquatic Pongol on any of the
Internet plant databases.

Any help appreciated.

Oz

Old 21-02-2005, 10:46 AM
Grae

Hi mate,
we have emailed b4 but couldnt find your email address.
Try this "key" takes a bit of time but i think you will like it.It is a
scientific key to work out classification of aquatic plants.Hope it helps
http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/vie...ls.aspx?id=228

Grae

u...

Old 21-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Ozdude

"Grae" wrote in message
Hi mate,
we have emailed b4 but couldnt find your email address.
Try this "key" takes a bit of time but i think you will like it.It is a
scientific key to work out classification of aquatic plants.Hope it helps
http://www.lucidcentral.org/keys/vie...ls.aspx?id=228

Grae

Thanks - I tried it, but I'm too dumb to use it. I don't know the names of
plant parts properly and it can't get me a list up. I can't get the images
over the web either. If I saw a picture of it it I could idenitfy it easier
I think.

I guess I'll have to wait and see how it goes. If it is mondo grass I guess
I'll find out in a month or two when it dies suddenly from being submerged

It sure pearls a lot though.

Oz