Old 22-02-2005, 12:58 AM
I3 I L L

Default fertilizers from greg watson

I want to give his stuff a try but unclear on which formula to buy.
What is the difference between PMDD Pre-Mix and CSM+B Plantex? Should I
get both? All I currently use is flourish and some iron tabs.

Old 22-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Elaine T

I3 I L L wrote:
I want to give his stuff a try but unclear on which formula to buy.
What is the difference between PMDD Pre-Mix and CSM+B Plantex? Should I
get both? All I currently use is flourish and some iron tabs.

You got me curious since I've never heard of the products. I'm
impressed! Here's what's in CSM plantex from his site.

Plantex CSM is the recommended source for micronutrients ... Contains:
1.5% Magnesium (MG), 1.5% Magnesium (cheleted), 0.10% Copper (Cu), 7.0%
Iron (Fe - cheleted), 2.0% Maganese (Mn - Cheleted), 0.06% Molybedenum
(MO), and 0.40% Zinc (Zn - cheleted).

Plantex CSM+B has added boron and to make a complete micronutrient
fertilizer, Greg says to mix Plantex CSM+B 1:1 with magnesium sulfate so
you'll need to buy both. I can't believe how cheap it is - I think I'm
going to switch to this when I've used up my Kent fertilizers.

PMDD pre-mix has 1 part Potassium Nitrate, 1 part Potassium Sulfate, 1
part Magnesium Sulfate, 1 part Plantex CSM+B. So it is a near-complete
fertilizer and provides macronutrients as well as trace elements. The
only thing missing is phosphate, so you'd have to watch that.

What you use depends on the amount of nitrate and phosphate in your
tank. If you're running near zero nitrate, get the PMDD pre-mix. If
there's plenty of nitrate and phosphate in your tanks (for example, 15
ppm nitrate comes for free in my tapwater), you might blend your own
version of PMDD with the Plantex CSM+B, potassium sulfate, and magnesium
sulfate.

HTH, and thanks for pointing out a great source for bulk fertilizers!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 22-02-2005, 02:57 AM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-02-22, I3 I L L wrote:
I want to give his stuff a try but unclear on which formula to buy.
What is the difference between PMDD Pre-Mix and CSM+B Plantex? Should I
get both? All I currently use is flourish and some iron tabs.

If you want PMDD his pre-mix is everything you need. If you want to mix
your own, CSM+B Plantex and the rest of the PMDD goodness is what you
want.

There are good reasons to mix your own! You might find out, as I did,
that the common PMDD recipie overloads your water with nitrates - my
water already has some in it. It can help to get seperate components
because then you can play with the formula.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 22-02-2005, 03:29 AM
I3 I L L

I use distilled water as my tap water is really high in
phosphates(~14ppm) and I can get it for free. So I'm not getting any
nutrients from my water source. I'm just starting out so the easiest
method here would be the best. Although I'm willing ot give anything a
try. So is the CSM+B Plantex the same as PMDD with boron added? I
believe most of my plants aren't the most demanding as far as nutrients
goes(riccia, java moss, vals, anubias, pond penny?, rotala, stargrass,
red tiger lotus, and ludwigia). Anybody here currently using any of
these fertilizers? Like to hear your remarks!

Old 22-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-02-22, I3 I L L wrote:
try. So is the CSM+B Plantex the same as PMDD with boron added?

No, the CSM+B Plantex is just one component of PMDD. Greg also sells
potassium sulfate, potassium nitrate, and magnesium sulfate. These are
also used in the recipie and are crucial - they are the macronutrient,
vs the Plantex being the micronutrients, or trace nutrients.

Anybody here currently using any of
these fertilizers? Like to hear your remarks!

I've had great luck since I switched to a PMDD style fertilizer regimen.
First, spend some time reading "Control of Algae in Planted Aquaria" at
http://www.thekrib.net/Plants/Fertil...rs-conlin.html.

After starting, keep a watch on your nitrate - you don't want it to be
through the roof. As the paper says, it will take some time before the
tank settles into a steady nitrate level from daily doses. You may need
to play around with the nitrate content - it will vary from tank to
tank.

I've had great results in my tank. I've got 110W over 40 gallons, DIY
CO2, and since I got my PMDD formula spot on, the tank has been
goregous. Algae has been minimal, plants look vibrant and healthy.
Fish are happy because there's so many places to hide!

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 22-02-2005, 04:57 PM
steve

Ross Vandegrift wrote:
snip

After starting, keep a watch on your nitrate - you don't want it to

be
through the roof. As the paper says, it will take some time before

the
tank settles into a steady nitrate level from daily doses. You may

need
to play around with the nitrate content - it will vary from tank to
tank.

I've had great results in my tank. I've got 110W over 40 gallons,

DIY
CO2, and since I got my PMDD formula spot on, the tank has been
goregous. Algae has been minimal, plants look vibrant and healthy.
Fish are happy because there's so many places to hide!

--
Ross Vandegrift

This has been my experience as well. I've now settled on a regime of
measuring my nitrates, and dosing with KN03 and KCI to maintain levels
of about 8 and 16 ppm respectively. I don't dose phosphates anymore
because my fish food supplies plenty of that. I've put some pictures
together he http://Aquaria.Info/members/ervis/

I'm really happy with the results!

steve