GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Complete aquatic plant fertilizer for fishless tank? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/90129-complete-aquatic-plant-fertilizer-fishless-tank.html)

Elaine T 23-02-2005 12:30 AM

Complete aquatic plant fertilizer for fishless tank?

Does anyone know of a complete aquatic plant fertilizer that could be
used in a fish-free bowl? I want to start growing some java moss and
hornwort for a pond I'm planning. PMDD looks close, but it lacks
phosphate and I suspect is lower in nitrate and potash than I will need.

TIA!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Ozdude 23-02-2005 12:54 PM

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Does anyone know of a complete aquatic plant fertilizer that could be used
in a fish-free bowl? I want to start growing some java moss and hornwort
for a pond I'm planning. PMDD looks close, but it lacks phosphate and I
suspect is lower in nitrate and potash than I will need.

I read somewhere recently that using terrestrial fertilizers is okay for
this type of situation.

I can't remember the specific land plants the fertilizer was for though -
African Violets, Orchid ????

Any way at my local K-Mart they have these appealing terrestrial fertilizer
spikes for vegetables - they are appealing because their phospahates are
really low and so are (relatively) the nitrates. They are cheap too (about
A$3). I reckon half of a stick would do the trick ;)

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith