GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Brackish plants recommendations. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/90410-brackish-plants-recommendations.html)

[email protected] 03-03-2005 04:49 AM

Brackish plants recommendations.

Hello, I am writing another handout for customers at my workplace,
this time having to do with keeping brackish-water fish. Does anyone
have any recommendations on appropriate species of plants for a
brackish tank? Please include freshwater species that are easy to
acclimatize to brackish. I appreciate your replies.

Charles 03-03-2005 05:29 AM

On 2 Mar 2005 19:49:41 -0800, wrote:

Hello, I am writing another handout for customers at my workplace,
this time having to do with keeping brackish-water fish. Does anyone
have any recommendations on appropriate species of plants for a
brackish tank? Please include freshwater species that are easy to
acclimatize to brackish. I appreciate your replies.

You probably knew about these, but just in case:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishS...bracplants.htm

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/brackish.html

http://aquariumplant.com/cgi-bin/car...scription.html

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...rackish.2.html

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00064.html

--
Charles

Does not play well with others.

[email protected] 03-03-2005 08:18 PM

Firstly, it depend what you mean by "brackish". Up to a specific
gravity of 1.005, many species that do well in hard, alkaline water
will also do well in this slightly brackish water. But above this
level, virtually none are relaible, and there are no commonly traded
species that will do well in specific gravities above 1.010, as you
would need for keeping scats, monos, Colombian sharks, and so on. In
this case, you are far better off with plastic plants and turning to
"dead" materials like bogwood, sea shells, and so on for ornamentation.

Do check out the brackish water aquarium FAQ. Included is a list of
species that do well, many of which are commonly traded (there are some
oddballs that you might need to order, for example from Tropika.dk).
The most up-to-date FAQ can be found he

http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/aquaria/aquaria.html

Cheers,

Neale

Richard Sexton 03-03-2005 09:11 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
Firstly, it depend what you mean by "brackish". Up to a specific
gravity of 1.005, many species that do well in hard, alkaline water
will also do well in this slightly brackish water. But above this
level, virtually none are relaible, and there are no commonly traded
species that will do well in specific gravities above 1.010, as you
would need for keeping scats, monos, Colombian sharks, and so on. In
this case, you are far better off with plastic plants and turning to
"dead" materials like bogwood, sea shells, and so on for ornamentation.

Cryptocoryne ciliata can be found in water so salty you'd think so
plant has any right growing there. Slow growing in moderate
light it requires very bright light for maximum growth. It can be
a foot tall under optimum conditions and is an utterly spectacular
plant when happy. It's a most un-crypt-like crypts if you think crypts
require soft acid water and dim light.

Here's a lousy picture of a young plant:

http://images.aquaria.net/plants/Cryptocoryne/c/CIL/

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

[email protected] 06-03-2005 05:20 AM

saw some vals growing naturally in a florida estuary (the manatees eat
them); you might want to try. they are pretty egregarious though, and
tend to take over the tank if you're not careful, so i'd suggest a
smaller variety like spiralis.

______
http://www.indiecookbooks.com
nothing but reviews of independent cookbooks from churches, community
groups, and self-published authors.

js1 04-04-2005 07:06 AM

http://plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=8