GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Green Light Stump Remover (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/90791-green-light-stump-remover.html)

Richard Sexton 13-03-2005 05:02 PM

In article .com,
Watercress wrote:
Ok, then explain why I got 0 ppm on a solution of Green Light Stump
Remover?

http://www.google.com/search?pg=q&fm...r ate&x=0&y=0

Ask for te MSDS safety sheets on it at the point of sale.

Another test is:

Mix 1 tsp of greenlight with 1 tsp if icing sugar.

Light it (outdoors).

If you see a pink flame and lots of smoke then it's (still)
kno3.

Please don't rely on hobby nitrate test kits. They only seem to work
sometimes.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Watercress 14-03-2005 02:20 AM

It was a long time ago that I researched Scotts Green Sweep that I
chanced upon some MSDS website. It has some plead to manufacture to
submit MSDS for the sake their customers. Anyway, I can't find that
again, but I nevertheless found the following that may explain the
inconsistency between what you stated and that plead on that website.
It follows

From: http://www.msdssearch.com/msdshistory.htm
"Most materials packaged for consumer use are exempt from the
requirements of the Hazard Communication Standard (HCS)."

Anyway, thanks for that Green Light Stump Remover MSDS. I guess that
means that the AP Nitrate test is crap. I dissolved a small amount of
stump remover in water and tested the solution with the nitrate test.
I got 0 ppm. I repeated this at least 3 times.

Watercress 14-03-2005 02:23 AM

Nope, I won't buy another AP nitrate test kit again. There nitite test
kit and ammonium test kit are pretty good though.

From: http://www.msdssearch.com/msdshistory.htm
"Most materials packaged for consumer use are exempt from the
requirements of the Hazard Communication Standard (HCS)."

While consumer products may be exempt, if you dig enough, you'll find a
MSDS for just about anything sold. A quick Google found MSDS sheets for
liquid laundry detergent, cologne and water (yes water -
http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2957.html)

Anyway, thanks for that Green Light Stump Remover MSDS. I guess that
means that the AP Nitrate test is crap. I dissolved a small amount of
stump remover in water and tested the solution with the nitrate test.
I got 0 ppm. I repeated this at least 3 times.

Strange, I mixed up a batch of Spectracide brand stump remover (100%
KNO3) at 1 tsp/500ml and tested with my AP kit and got an instant color
change (overkill on the ppm). Perhaps your test kit is old or you didn't
add enough KNO3 to register.

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh

Watercress 14-03-2005 06:21 AM

Nope, added enough. In fact a lot of it. Half a teaspoon in one test
tube.

Watercress 14-03-2005 06:30 AM

I suppose that proves Sexton's point about the sporadic success of the
AP test.

Watercress 14-03-2005 09:40 PM

OK, here is a challenge for you. Find out what is in Flourish Excel.
I dare you! Seriously, I really want to know.

Watercress 14-03-2005 09:51 PM

I don't have icing sugar so I used regular sugar. I made a small loop
with a fine wire, and managed to get some stump remover and sugar
mixture on it. I placed it over a candle flame. Fizz!! The mixture
bursted into flame. Yep, it reminded me of an incidence when I was
younger when I made gun powder with KNO3 from my chemistry set. The
upshot is that the result from the experiment supports the claim the
the stump remover is KNO3.

Wow, first experimenting with microbes to generate CO2, now making
explosive mixtures, this hobby is getting more exciting with every
passing day!

Richard Sexton 14-03-2005 11:39 PM

In article .com,
Watercress wrote:
OK, here is a challenge for you. Find out what is in Flourish Excel.
I dare you! Seriously, I really want to know.

It says right on the label: polycycloglutaracetal.

Watercress 15-03-2005 04:51 AM

Oops, must have missed it. All that small prints. :) Thanks.

Oh btw, I found an article on the web about Zebra Danios:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/fi...l/aa060799.htm

"Zebras are particularly susceptible to Oodinium, or Velvet disease.
When purchasing fish avoid any that have clamped fins, or look
emaciated, as they may be infected."

You know that description about the emaciation is consistent with my
observation that they were wasting away. I looked at my surviving
Zebras and all looked fine. I think the disease may have come in with
the Crawfishes that were temporarily in that tank. I suspect that
wasthe case since I did not buy anything for months. Well, either that
or the disease was lying dormant in them.

Richard Sexton 15-03-2005 06:53 AM

In article .com,
Watercress wrote:
Oops, must have missed it. All that small prints. :) Thanks.

Oh btw, I found an article on the web about Zebra Danios:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/fi...l/aa060799.htm

"Zebras are particularly susceptible to Oodinium, or Velvet disease.
When purchasing fish avoid any that have clamped fins, or look
emaciated, as they may be infected."

You know that description about the emaciation is consistent with my
observation that they were wasting away. I looked at my surviving
Zebras and all looked fine. I think the disease may have come in with
the Crawfishes that were temporarily in that tank. I suspect that
wasthe case since I did not buy anything for months. Well, either that
or the disease was lying dormant in them.

Velvet is really east to spot if you shine a flashlight on
them. You'll see very obvious tiny grains of sand looking
dots all over the fish. They're quite small but you'll see
zillions of them like a light disting of icing sugar,
except sand colored.

I use acriflavine but any decent antiparasitic will work. The
but neds light to photosynthesize so even a blackout will cure them.

kev 15-03-2005 07:37 AM

On 14 Mar 2005, the world was enlightened by Watercress's opinion
about...

OK, here is a challenge for you. Find out what is in Flourish Excel.
I dare you! Seriously, I really want to know.

What Richard said : polycycloglutaracetal

http://www.seachem.com/home/ProductSpotlight.html

Oh and here's the MSDS: http://www.seachem.com/support/MSDS.pdf

kev

Elaine T 15-03-2005 11:28 AM

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article .com,
Watercress wrote:

[...]

I was just cruising Untergasser and saw that Oodinium can grow inside a
fish's intestine. They only rely partly on photosynthesis so a blackout
isn't a complete cure. Blackout plus antiparasitic is probably ideal.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Richard Sexton 15-03-2005 04:41 PM

I was just cruising Untergasser and saw that Oodinium can grow inside a
fish's intestine. They only rely partly on photosynthesis so a blackout

But do they reproduce there? WOuldn't the get expelled and become
free-swimming (then die).

Elaine T 15-03-2005 08:39 PM

Richard Sexton wrote:
I was just cruising Untergasser and saw that Oodinium can grow inside a
fish's intestine. They only rely partly on photosynthesis so a blackout

But do they reproduce there? WOuldn't the get expelled and become
free-swimming (then die).

Good point. Have you gotten a full cure with a tank blackout only?
I've never had the misfortune of battling velvet at home (knock wood).
In store tanks were we used formalin/malachite since blackout wasn't
possible in the racks.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__