Old 11-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Watercress

Default Green Light Stump Remover

Anyone has a definite answer to its content? According to previous
postings it is suppose to be pure KNO3, but when I tested a solution of
it with the Aqua. Pharm. nitrate test, I got a reading of 0. So, is
the problem with the Stump Remover or the Nitrate Test?

BTW, the Nitrate Test did have a non-zero reading with some lawn
fertilizer that I left standing with aeration. Also, the Nitrate test
registered 0 with a solution of Flourish Nitrogen. This doesn't make
sense since the Flourish Nitrogen is suppose to contain nitrate.

A related question. Know of a good nitrate test kit?

Old 11-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Margolis

hagen or tetra. Hagen is probably a little better, but it takes a bit more
practice to get it right. Tetra should be more than good enough.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/200302152...qs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Old 11-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Richard Sexton

In article . com,
Watercress wrote:
Anyone has a definite answer to its content? According to previous
postings it is suppose to be pure KNO3, but when I tested a solution of
it with the Aqua. Pharm. nitrate test, I got a reading of 0. So, is
the problem with the Stump Remover or the Nitrate Test?

BTW, the Nitrate Test did have a non-zero reading with some lawn
fertilizer that I left standing with aeration. Also, the Nitrate test
registered 0 with a solution of Flourish Nitrogen. This doesn't make
sense since the Flourish Nitrogen is suppose to contain nitrate.

A related question. Know of a good nitrate test kit?

LaMotte. Or a digital meter. The hobby kits are like windows, they
just don't work properly.

The green light stuff is pure kn03. You can verify this by asking
for the MSDS sheets where you buy it.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org
Old 11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Margolis wrote:
hagen or tetra. Hagen is probably a little better, but it takes a bit more
practice to get it right.

Hahahaha, good one. These things aren't even remotely
accurate. They're thrown off by nitrite (the instrucstions
say so but don't say high or lo) and the color charts
are a function of water hardness, I have to use the something
in between the salt and fresh chart for my water and I've seen
them read zero with a calibrated kn03 stock solution and I've
seen them read zero when a LaMotte kit reads 220ppm.

The thing seems to work sometimes and if you guess at what
the chart should be they're usefull for determining
"zero", "low" or "high". When they work.

Plus they contain cadmium. Waste of money.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:04 PM
steve

Richard Sexton wrote:

about Nitrate test kits...

Plus they contain cadmium. Waste of money.

If this causes you concern, you'd better not read the ingredients of
gasoline! You'll have nightmares! And it's exhaust is being spewed
from every car on the road! The humanity!

steve

Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
steve wrote:

Richard Sexton wrote:

about Nitrate test kits...

Plus they contain cadmium. Waste of money.

If this causes you concern, you'd better not read the ingredients of
gasoline! You'll have nightmares! And it's exhaust is being spewed
from every car on the road! The humanity!

I drive a diesel. I realize it's not a whole lot better
but there's not much of a choice 50 mles from the closet
city. There are choices in how you test NO3.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Margolis

Sorry, but you need to read the directions then ;op They are more than
accurate enough for what we are dealing with here. There is no need to
spend $100 on a lamotte test when we are not in a laboratory setting. And
there are no digital meters for nitrate.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 PM
steve

Richard Sexton wrote:
In article ,
Margolis wrote:
hagen or tetra. Hagen is probably a little better, but it takes a

bit more
practice to get it right.

Hahahaha, good one. These things aren't even remotely
accurate. They're thrown off by nitrite (the instrucstions
say so but don't say high or lo) and the color charts
are a function of water hardness, I have to use the something
in between the salt and fresh chart for my water and I've seen
them read zero with a calibrated kn03 stock solution and I've
seen them read zero when a LaMotte kit reads 220ppm.

Well I've seen a three legged dog too...

For my requirements, the AP nitrate test kit and the Nutrafin pH kit
are very accurate. When used properly, they reflect the conditions I'd
expect to see with the variables present. For example:

My tap water test for nitrates is 0
The city water report for nitrates is less than 1

When I was cycling a new tank, the first test to show results was for
ammonia.
Within a week or so, the nitrite test showed evidence there.
A short time later, the nitrite test was back to zero and the nitrate
test was positive for 5ppm.

My 55g tank has supplemental CO2

Tap water pH test is 7.4
My initial KH tests were 35ppm
Is it a mear coincedence that the C02 chart calculated amount is
2.4ppm?
As I began to add CO2, the pH steadily dropped to 6.8. I added some
crushed coral to add buffer, and the KH is now at 55ppm. I've since
tripled the CO2 bubble rate and it is now calculated at 26ppm with a
measured pH of 6.6.

When I had a large fish load, the nitrate tests got up to about 20ppm
on a weekly basis. Now that there are less fish, the test does not
show as much. When I added many plants, the nitrate test came up zero
again so I've begun to add KNO3. It seems to be workin' for my hobby
needs, and the plants and fish sure are healty.

steve

Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Watercress

You know your remark about nitrite is interesting. In the three
nitrate test solutions I have. The only solution that showed a
positive reading contains nitrite and ammonium. Hmm, coincidence?

Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Richard Sexton

In article .com,
Watercress wrote:
You know your remark about nitrite is interesting. In the three
nitrate test solutions I have. The only solution that showed a
positive reading contains nitrite and ammonium. Hmm, coincidence?

Now you know why the LaMotte kits cost 10X as much.

Old 11-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Richard Sexton

For my requirements, the AP nitrate test kit and the Nutrafin pH kit
are very accurate. When used properly, they reflect the conditions I'd
expect to see with the variables present. For example:

Sure, sometimes they work. The problem is when they don't. It's
not like there's a little light that comes on that goes "oh, btw,
this reading is nowhere near accurate".

Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Elaine T

Richard Sexton wrote:
For my requirements, the AP nitrate test kit and the Nutrafin pH kit
are very accurate. When used properly, they reflect the conditions I'd
expect to see with the variables present. For example:

Sure, sometimes they work. The problem is when they don't. It's
not like there's a little light that comes on that goes "oh, btw,
this reading is nowhere near accurate".

Oh, THAT'S what that light means. I've been wondering for ages! ;-)

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 13-03-2005, 06:02 AM
Watercress

Ok, then explain why I got 0 ppm on a solution of Green Light Stump
Remover? As I said, either the Stump Remover is not KNO3 or the AP
nitrate test sucks. I was ready to blame the Stump Remover until I got
another negative on a diluted solution of Seachem Flourish Nitrogen
solution. According to the label the Flourish solution is suppose to
contain nitrate. Incidentally, the stump remover label stated that it
contains KNO3, it just didn't say whether it was pure KNO3 or not. If
pure KNO3 is suppose to register zero in the AP nitrate test, then it
is pretty much useless for my needs.

The only time the AP nitrate detected nitrate was when I aerated a
diluted solution of lawn fertilizer (Scotts (or Scott) Turf Builder).
The lawn ferilizer contain Urea as I recall. So after several days, I
suppose the Urea was converted into nitrate. Of course this means that
the solution is likely to contain ammonium and nitrate as well.

Old 13-03-2005, 06:05 AM
Watercress

Have you done it? I checked the website that maintains MSDS, and can't
find it. Incidentally, according that website MSDS is a volunteer
program. In other words, companies don't have to submit an MSDS.

Old 13-03-2005, 05:24 PM
kev

On 13 Mar 2005, the world was enlightened by Watercress's opinion about...

Have you done it? I checked the website that maintains MSDS, and can't
find it. Incidentally, according that website MSDS is a volunteer
program.

I suspect the website you were at was a 'volunteer' effort.

In other words, companies don't have to submit an MSDS.

Um, yes they do - any company that manufactures, sells, or imports
'chemicals' in the US:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ent?p_id=10099
&p_table=STANDARDS

Here's the link to Green Light Stump Remover's MSDS:

http://www.greenlightco.com/products...%20Remover.pdf

As Mr. Sexton said, pure KNO3.

kev

--
Civilization.

An organized system of alternatives to the stone age - CJCherryh

Cans of "stump remover" Winter Lawns 3 24-11-2004 03:53 PM
Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 09-01-2004 02:49 AM
What does a phosphate remover actually do? Bruce Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 12-11-2003 01:22 AM
Spetracide Stump Remover-- pure K2NO3? BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:10 AM
Low Light Success...with Mod. Light plants Rich Conley Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-03-2003 09:21 PM