GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   MH Lighting question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/91188-mh-lighting-question.html)

John 20-03-2005 07:58 PM

MH Lighting question

Does anyone use Metal Halide lighting on their tanks. I saved my ballast and
250 watt bulbs from my reef setup that I sold last year, but I want to setup
a freshwater planted community tank ( 120 or 125 gal.). Any advice is
greatly appreciated, thx...John.

Richard Sexton 21-03-2005 06:00 AM

In article ,
John wrote:
Does anyone use Metal Halide lighting on their tanks. I saved my ballast and
250 watt bulbs from my reef setup that I sold last year, but I want to setup
a freshwater planted community tank ( 120 or 125 gal.). Any advice is
greatly appreciated, thx...John.

Sure, HID lighting is the cornerstone of the Dupla method which
arguably spurred the planted tank craze. Just use it.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Justin Boucher 24-03-2005 06:10 AM

I just restarted my 240gal about a month ago from a marine conversion. I've
got three 250 watt MH at 12000k. Since I've just started, I've only got 4
plants total (small). A broad leaf sword (tropical Amazon?) and three small
cryps. Right now my biggest problem (where the light is concerned) is
keeping the class clean. I know I'll have to adjust as the plants grow and
I add some more.

Justin