Old 21-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Nikki Casali

Default Odd Anacharis behaviour...

R. Santink wrote:
Behaviour you ask? Yes! I have a 125g planted tank, at the moment
stocked with about 27 Vals (max 5") and 42 Anacharis (max 17").

Here's what I've been observing... my Anacharis go through a cycle
(haven't yet determined the period) wherein they grow perfectly
straight, and then bend their tops to form a candy-cane shape. It is
INDEPENDENT of the light cycle. I've even left them on for 36h and the
effect is the same. (?) It doesn't seem to concide with some timeframe
after their feeding either.

I fertilize with chelated-iron, Fourish Excel (1/3 dosage only),
potassium permanganate (yes!), and I've also got 2 "Plant-GRO sticks
buried in the plant patches. Their analysis is 16-9-12

I also inject CO2 generously using the Carbo-plus electrolysis unit.
They can grow almost an inch a day.

Any ideas? Anyone else observe this with Anacharis, or any plant for
that matter?

Well, when my Elodea go to sleep they all "nod off", but straighten up
in the morning. I have a couple of stems in my 75g aquarium that seem to
form a shepherd's crook when they have reached a certain height. Maybe
it's a reaction to brighter light? Or ambient light that comes in
perpendicular?

Nikki

Old 21-03-2005, 08:01 PM
R. Santink

Well, when my Elodea go to sleep they all "nod off", but straighten up
in the morning. I have a couple of stems in my 75g aquarium that seem to
form a shepherd's crook when they have reached a certain height. Maybe
it's a reaction to brighter light? Or ambient light that comes in
perpendicular?

Nikki

I think I can safely say, it isn't dependent on the light. My office has
no windows, so the light is very consistent. I've left them on up to
three days now, and they still do it.

I am starting to wonder if I notice that the behaviour precedes a growth
spurt...

RAS

Old 22-03-2005, 05:45 AM
Ross Vandegrift

On 2005-03-21, R. Santink wrote:
Any ideas? Anyone else observe this with Anacharis, or any plant for
that matter?

My Anachris grows hardcore fast as well, but mine gets far longer than
17" before turning over. The tank it's in is at least 20" high, and it
will continue to grow straight until it can't. At that point, it'll lay
out on the surface. If I cut it in half and replant, it'll be straight.

My setup is similar, but probably less intense: 110W over 40gal, daily
PMDD (similar to Greg Watson's mix, but nitrates are rich in my water so
I don't dose), and CO2 injection.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Old 22-03-2005, 01:47 PM
R. Santink

My Anachris grows hardcore fast as well, but mine gets far longer than
17" before turning over. The tank it's in is at least 20" high, and it
will continue to grow straight until it can't. At that point, it'll lay
out on the surface. If I cut it in half and replant, it'll be straight.

Actually, I meant they bend over *before* reaching the surface. As
another poster mentioned, as if they were nodding off for the night
(except it doesn't coincide with light cycles in my case).

Starting today, I am making notes on the times that it occurs, and also
my light cycle. I will post the results after a couple of days, or a week

rAS

Odd Anacharis behaviour... R. Santink Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 31-03-2005 03:07 AM
plant behaviour Bogdan H Plant Science 1 02-07-2003 01:56 AM
plant behaviour Bogdan H Plant Science 0 01-07-2003 09:20 PM
Normal behaviour for newts ? James Cook Ponds 1 16-06-2003 10:20 PM
Odd Koi Behaviour? sandra Ponds 0 08-05-2003 03:08 AM