Old 28-03-2005, 11:20 PM
John van der Pflum

Default Needle Valve/ph CO2 monitor help please

Can some please give me a link to a decent needle valve or PH control
unit I can buy? My current CO2 system has the problem of end of tank
dump and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks for the help.
Old 28-03-2005, 11:24 PM
Bob Alston

John van der Pflum wrote:
Can some please give me a link to a decent needle valve or PH control
unit I can buy? My current CO2 system has the problem of end of tank
dump and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks for the help.

I would recommend a clippard MNV-4k2. Widely used. the link below
tells about various needle valves available.

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...mendations.htm

Bob
Old 29-03-2005, 12:13 AM
Nikki Casali

John van der Pflum wrote:

Can some please give me a link to a decent needle valve or PH control
unit I can buy? My current CO2 system has the problem of end of tank
dump and it's starting to drive me crazy.

I bought a pH controller because of the fear of this end of tank dump,
so I've never experienced it. Can you tell me your experience? Any
fatalities?

Nikki

Old 29-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Dave S

"John van der Pflum" wrote in message
Can some please give me a link to a decent needle valve or PH control
unit I can buy? My current CO2 system has the problem of end of tank
dump and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks for the help.

Hi John - Could you explain the term 'tank dump'?
TIA - Dave

Old 29-03-2005, 04:05 PM
John van der Pflum

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:37:05 +0100, "Dave S"
wrote:

"John van der Pflum" wrote in message
.. .
Can some please give me a link to a decent needle valve or PH control
unit I can buy? My current CO2 system has the problem of end of tank
dump and it's starting to drive me crazy.

Thanks for the help.

Hi John - Could you explain the term 'tank dump'?
TIA - Dave

What happens is the the pressure in my CO2 tank drops over time
because obviously the CO2 is being released into the water for my
plants. The regulator I have on my tank cannot adequately control the
pressure when it gets too low and will all of the sudden just start
letting all the remaining CO2 into the tank.

The result of that is the PH crashes -- sometimes at or below 5 -- and
my fish get very stressed, needles to say. I have lost a few fish to
this problem.

I know that I could just regularly replace the tank, say, every three
months or so but I wind up forgetting about it. Then I wake up on a
Saturday morning, as I did this past Saturday, and find my fish
swimming upside down. Not a pretty sight. A couple of large water
changes, and a day or so, and the fish are fine.

(Yes, the CO2 tank is turned off. ;-) )

Old 29-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Nikki Casali

John van der Pflum wrote:

What happens is the the pressure in my CO2 tank drops over time
because obviously the CO2 is being released into the water for my
plants. The regulator I have on my tank cannot adequately control the
pressure when it gets too low and will all of the sudden just start
letting all the remaining CO2 into the tank.

The result of that is the PH crashes -- sometimes at or below 5 -- and
my fish get very stressed, needles to say. I have lost a few fish to
this problem.

A pH of 5? So we could be talking CO2 levels in the hundreds of ppm?
Almost atmospheric levels. It's amazing that any of your fish survived!

Nikki

Old 29-03-2005, 11:59 PM
John van der Pflum

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:51:57 +0100, Nikki Casali
wrote:

John van der Pflum wrote:

What happens is the the pressure in my CO2 tank drops over time
because obviously the CO2 is being released into the water for my
plants. The regulator I have on my tank cannot adequately control the
pressure when it gets too low and will all of the sudden just start
letting all the remaining CO2 into the tank.

The result of that is the PH crashes -- sometimes at or below 5 -- and
my fish get very stressed, needles to say. I have lost a few fish to
this problem.

A pH of 5? So we could be talking CO2 levels in the hundreds of ppm?
Almost atmospheric levels. It's amazing that any of your fish survived!

Nikki

Tell me about it. But those australian rainbows are tough. They were
swimming upside down and a real mess for a little while. I did lose
one though -- an adult female M. peruccia (sp?). :-(((((