GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CO2 bottle refill UK (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/91915-co2-bottle-refill-uk.html)

Angrie.Woman 09-04-2005 07:12 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
Nikki Casali Spaketh Thusly:

I found a Calor Gas outlet down the road from me. But they only do 6.5kg
bottles for about £15. What the hell, the bottle will be partially
hidden behind a tall plant anyway and it will last me well over 12
months. Could even get a narrow and tall cupboard built to disguise it.

You don't even have to place it close to the tank. Tubing is easy to hide.

I'm thinking of moving my entire setup - everything except tank and
lights -
to some high shelves in the room below. I can run pipes and tubing (only
need
a meter or so) inside an inside wall behind the tank.

I dream about doing that. And the floor below is a closet area already.

Bill 10-04-2005 03:41 AM

"Angrie.Woman" Spaketh Thusly:

"Bill" wrote in message

I'm thinking of moving my entire setup - everything except tank and
lights - to some high shelves in the room below. I can run
pipes and tubing (only need
a meter or so) inside an inside wall behind the tank.

I dream about doing that. And the floor below is a closet area already.

Is there a sink close by? As much work as it's going to be to do the move and
the piping, having the sink just a few steps away to be able to do water
changes - instead of lugging several 5G buckets up the steps weekly - is
actually going to save me work after a few months. I'm even planning on
running an empty PVC pipe from behind the tank to right above the sink. I'll
be able to vacuum and dump directly into the pipe - no filling buckets with
dirty water! I can replace the water in the combination sump/wet dry
filter/heater holder downstairs and let the pump move it up to the tank. I'll
put my reactor inline with the pipe going back to the tank.

Go for it, AW! I've been dreaming myself for a few years but my current stand
is developing a lean so I am being forced to do some heavy work anyway.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net

Angrie.Woman 11-04-2005 10:43 PM

"Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Hadn't thought about the sink, but there is a hose bib on the floor below.
Wouldn't be too big of a deal to "t" off that and put a dedicated spigot
right under the tank. But there is a sink close too. adding a direct access
to a drain would be the tricky part.

I would need to study aquarium design though, because there wouldn't be a
back side. THe tank would be open on both sides.

I'm liking the way this is shaping up. :)

Angie

Bill 12-04-2005 04:52 AM

"Angrie.Woman" Spaketh Thusly:

Hadn't thought about the sink, but there is a hose bib on the floor below.
Wouldn't be too big of a deal to "t" off that and put a dedicated spigot
right under the tank. But there is a sink close too. adding a direct access
to a drain would be the tricky part.

I already figured that out... get some PVC close to the sink and somewhere
above it; put a barbed fitting on the end. Then use some tubing to drop right
into the sink, and remove it when you're not using it. If it's a finished
room, hiding the barb is a tricky part. Perhaps a dummy air conditiong outlet
(small round one) held up with a magnet - pull it off and go.

I would need to study aquarium design though, because there wouldn't be a
back side. THe tank would be open on both sides.

Tank positioned inbetween 2 rooms? Way cool. I'm jealous. If any one side is
against a wall, put your sihon and return hose there, there's nothing else to
show if your filtration, etc. is downstairs. Hide the siphon box under the
hood.
If you don't have any side against a wall or a large piece of furniture - like
in the middle of a big room - I'd guess drilling the tank would be the neatest
way. I've never had a drilled tank, but lots of people do so it must be OK --
it just scares me. But it eliminates the unsightly and expensive siphon
(overflow) box.

I'm liking the way this is shaping up. :)

I know what you mean! I've been playing with this in my head for years, since
I first looked at Dave's (dclubine) site back when he was building his
automated water change system. http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/master.htm
Inspiring. Poke around there and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Angrie.Woman 12-04-2005 06:47 AM

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

We're in a tri-level. When you walk in our front door, you have to either go
up or down. If you go up, then turn right walk a few steps, turn right
again, you're in the living room area, facing an outside wall. On your
right, there is a rail, keeping people from falling off the floor into the
stairwell from whence they just emerged. That's where I'd like to put it. Do
away with the rail and put a really big tank there.

I would have the ability to hide pipes and things with cabinetry on either
end, I think.

If any one side is
against a wall, put your sihon and return hose there, there's nothing else
show if your filtration, etc. is downstairs. Hide the siphon box under the
hood.
If you don't have any side against a wall or a large piece of furniture -
like
in the middle of a big room - I'd guess drilling the tank would be the
neatest
way. I've never had a drilled tank, but lots of people do so it must be
OK --
it just scares me

Yes, me too!

.. But it eliminates the unsightly and expensive siphon
(overflow) box.

I'm liking the way this is shaping up. :)

I know what you mean! I've been playing with this in my head for years,
since
I first looked at Dave's (dclubine) site back when he was building his
automated water change system. http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/master.htm
Inspiring. Poke around there and you'll get plenty of ideas.

Oh - that looks like fun! Thanks!

stephan64 19-06-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCG (Post 507742)
Hello
,are there any differance between pub co2 and welding co2 looking into buying a co2 bottle instead of using a disposable bottle i have just ordered the conector for my reg so any advice would be most welcome and where would the best place be to get the bottles in south wales............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.[/quote]