Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
NCG NCG is offline
Registered User

Default CO2 bottle refill UK

Hello,

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Dave S

--
NCG

I had the same problem - my LFS in Hampshire is now trying to source it.

HTH - Dave

Old 04-04-2005, 08:33 PM
Nikki Casali

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to
the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone
calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent
the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
NCG

I had the same problem - my LFS in Hampshire is now trying to source it.

Now you're making me paranoid. I'd better start ringing around now
before my 2kg bottle runs down. How about a fire station?

Nikki

Old 04-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Iain Miller

"Nikki Casali" wrote in message

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to
the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone
calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent
the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
NCG

I had the same problem - my LFS in Hampshire is now trying to source it.

Now you're making me paranoid. I'd better start ringing around now before
my 2kg bottle runs down. How about a fire station?

I use 3Kg bottles from my local Calor depot . The JBL regulator needs a
slight sanding with wet & dry to fit but works a treat. About £15 a refill -
just take the old bottle to the depot & grab a full one.

I.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Dave S

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

Hello,

I have a 500g JBL CO2 bottle which I currently refill by taking it to
the fish shop and having it replaced for a filled bottled for £9.

I was trying to look for other cheaper alternatives and made some phone
calls, but it seems that gas suppliers would only do that if you rent
the bottle from them and pay a monthly fee, which wouldn't be cheaper.

Anyone knows of a cheaper way to have CO2 bottles refilled?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

--
NCG

I had the same problem - my LFS in Hampshire is now trying to source it.

Now you're making me paranoid. I'd better start ringing around now before
my 2kg bottle runs down. How about a fire station?

Nikki

Hi Nikki - I've tried local fire stations - they send theirs 'away' to be
refilled. I think there are also H&S issues :-( I've been without now for
3 weeks (the co2 that is!) and I don't want to be in this position again,
therefore I'm look for a spare bottle.

Dave

Dave

Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Dave S

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Iain - Excuse my ignorance; Is co2 the same as Calor gas? (Stupid
question I know)

Dave

Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 AM
Iain Miller

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

[...]

LOL...no!

Calor supply all sorts of different bottled gases - propane, butane, oxygen,
CO2, Acetylene etc etc etc. The CO2 is usually supplied for pubs I think -
but they have racks of the stuff at my local depot just outside Guildford.
Two different sized bottles - a 3kg and 7Kg. The 3Kg bottle is around 51/52
cm tall & maybe 15cm across. The 7Kg is twice as tall. The bottles are not
pretty but fortunately it fits in the cupboard under my tank. You don't have
to buy a bottle & there is no deposit - just turn up & ask for a 3kg or 7kg
bottle of CO2, hand over your £15 (dunno what the 7Kg costs - probably
£25-£30) & that's that. When its empty take it back & get another one.
Because its meant for pubs etc its "food grade" CO2 so its very clean &
works well. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. One
bottle lasts me about 9-10 months in my 65G tank & I don't worry too much
about wasteage or limiting surface movement. Its controlled by a PH
controller anyway so it turns itself on & off as needed.

The JBL regulator is slightly oversize for the Calor bottle (which has an
international std neck on it). All you need to do is take the O-ring off the
regulator (carefully!) & have at it with some 120 Grit Wet & dry sandpaper -
takes about 10-15 minutes just to take enough off for it to fit. Get a calor
bottle, try & fit the regulator & you'll see what I mean & which bit you
need to "adjust". The threaded collar that you tighten up onto the bottle
fits fine - its the bit inside this that doesn't go inside the calor neck
properly. My tip for the day is to buy yourself some spare O-rings if you
don't have any!

Its the O-ring that makes the seal anyway ( a tiny smear of vaseline is a
good idea on the rubber) so don't worry about doing it & the thing still
works fine on the std JBL bottle - I still use mine for a couple of days
here & there everytime I run out of the main bottle. You'll take the chrome
off the nose of the regulator obviously but that is no matter - underneath
its brass as would be expected & you don't see the bit you need to adjust.
Lord alone knows why JBL made the thing slightly oversize - probably to make
sure we had to use their hideously overpriced CO2 I expect!

HTH

Iain

Old 05-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Dave S

Dave S wrote:

"NCG" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail - it really is
appreciated. I'll start looking into this as another option to obtain CO2.

Dave

Old 05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
NCG NCG is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S
"Iain Miller" wrote in message

"Dave S"
wrote in message

"Iain Miller"
wrote in message

"Nikki Casali"
wrote in message

Dave S wrote:

"NCG"
wrote in message

[...]

Ian,
Thanks a lot! That was of much help!

Dave,
If you're still without CO2 and getting nervous, JBL are selling disposable CO2 gas bottles for around £14 (500g). I know you can find them online, but you'd better make sure that they fit your system, as I've never used them.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Nikki Casali

Iain Miller wrote:

"Nikki Casali" wrote in message

Now you're making me paranoid. I'd better start ringing around now before
my 2kg bottle runs down. How about a fire station?

I use 3Kg bottles from my local Calor depot . The JBL regulator needs a
slight sanding with wet & dry to fit but works a treat. About £15 a refill -
just take the old bottle to the depot & grab a full one.

I found a supplier that supplies 3.5kg bottles. The deposit is £50 and a
refill is £11. No one seems to be able to directly refill my 2kg bottle
though. I'm wondering what sort of place we're talking about for that?

Nikki

Old 05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Iain Miller

I found a supplier that supplies 3.5kg bottles. The deposit is £50 and a
refill is £11. No one seems to be able to directly refill my 2kg bottle
though. I'm wondering what sort of place we're talking about for that?

Dunno - "with difficulty" is the answer I think. Lots of places won't refill
other manufacturer's bottles on safety grounds....

Suggest you take it back to the LFS you bought it from & push the problem
back onto them - if they can't solve it for a reasonable sum (bearing in
mind 3kg bottle from calor is £15 with no deposit etc) then ask for your
money back & wander off to your local Calor depot.

I.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Iain Miller

Iain,

Do you need to rent/buy the bottle from Calor? If so, how much does it
cost?

Kind of neither - no deposit - you just go in & ask for a 3kg bottle of CO2
& pay 'em the £15 & off you go. When its empty you take the old one back &
get another for another £15. There is no paperwork either so theoretically
you could stockpile a heap of empty bottles by not taking the empty ones
back I suppose - but why would you??? Which is why there is no paperwork &
no deposit I guess!

I.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Nikki Casali

Iain Miller wrote:

Iain,

Do you need to rent/buy the bottle from Calor? If so, how much does it
cost?

Kind of neither - no deposit - you just go in & ask for a 3kg bottle of CO2
& pay 'em the £15 & off you go. When its empty you take the old one back &
get another for another £15. There is no paperwork either so theoretically
you could stockpile a heap of empty bottles by not taking the empty ones
back I suppose - but why would you??? Which is why there is no paperwork &
no deposit I guess!

I found a Calor Gas outlet down the road from me. But they only do 6.5kg
bottles for about £15. What the hell, the bottle will be partially
hidden behind a tall plant anyway and it will last me well over 12
months. Could even get a narrow and tall cupboard built to disguise it.

Nikki

Old 07-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Bill

Nikki Casali Spaketh Thusly:

I found a Calor Gas outlet down the road from me. But they only do 6.5kg
bottles for about £15. What the hell, the bottle will be partially
hidden behind a tall plant anyway and it will last me well over 12
months. Could even get a narrow and tall cupboard built to disguise it.

You don't even have to place it close to the tank. Tubing is easy to hide.

I'm thinking of moving my entire setup - everything except tank and lights -
to some high shelves in the room below. I can run pipes and tubing (only need
a meter or so) inside an inside wall behind the tank.

--
Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real]
www.necka.net