GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   can pl*cos and plants coexist? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/91985-can-pl%2Acos-plants-coexist.html)

Scott Far Thunder 05-04-2005 05:16 PM

can pl*cos and plants coexist?

Hau kolas..quick question; I'm getting contradictory answers, thought I'd assimilate whatever you can contribute. I've a 100-gallon tank that I'm thinking of converting to planted. However, one of the occupants ofthis tank is a common pl*co who is fairly large at about 16" of length. I've had smaller pl*cos absolutely tear up plants in smaller aquariums. This guy/girl/whatever has never been in a planted tank, and due to size I won't put him in a smaller tank to "see what happens". So the question: in your experiences, what's the probability that a large pl*co like this will destroy a planted tank of this volume? If so, any suggestions of plants that might fair "better" in this environment and any that should be avoided? TIA. :)
--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**

dfreas 06-04-2005 01:03 AM

I have kept a common pl*co in almost every planted tank I've had and
never seen him even slightly damage any plant. If your pl*c's are
eating plants then they must be seriously starved. The only other
explanation I can think of is that by "tear up" you don't mean eat but
litterally mean tear up. I could imagine that happening. Pl*co's tend
to go wild when they get spooked and the thrashing could potentially
rip some plants to shreds - the solution being to provide better cover
for your pl*co.

Easy plants that I have kept with pl*cos include Vals, Java fern and
moss, Anubias, Hornwort, Frogbit, Duckweed, Anacharis, Swords of
several different types and Water Clover. In addition to these I've
kept perhaps a dozen or so different varieties of more difficult plants
and plants that I no longer remember the names of.

I would suggest one or two large Anubias as the main focus since they
are hardy and rather difficult to rip up with a background of Java fern
which will also be difficult for a pl*co to destroy. Any floating plant
will obviously fair well since the pl*co won't go near them and then
throw in a sword or two for interest and some Java moss for ground
cover. Expand from there if the pl*co doesn't give you any trouble.

If your pl*co really is eating plants then start feeding him algae
wafers on a daily basis and cucumbers at regular intervals. If it is
the spooking that is destroying the plants then add a cave to the
aquarium that is at least as big as your pl*co.

-Daniel

Nikki Casali 06-04-2005 02:26 AM

Scott Far Thunder wrote:

Hau kolas..quick question; I'm getting contradictory answers, thought
I'd assimilate whatever you can contribute. I've a 100-gallon tank that
I'm thinking of converting to planted. However, one of the occupants
ofthis tank is a common pl*co who is fairly large at about 16" of
length. I've had smaller pl*cos absolutely tear up plants in smaller
aquariums. This guy/girl/whatever has never been in a planted tank, and
due to size I won't put him in a smaller tank to "see what happens". So
the question: in your experiences, what's the probability that a large
pl*co like this will destroy a planted tank of this volume? If so, any
suggestions of plants that might fair "better" in this environment and
any that should be avoided? TIA. :)

I have ancistrus which are a mini version of your common pleco. They
absolutely love my Amazon Swords but don't touch any other plants.
Luckily, they grow fast enough to replace the lost leaves. I can imagine
a 16" pleco wreaking havoc with sword type plants. This is the only type
I've ever heard them go after. Just don't stick any Amazon Swords in
with him/her/whatever. That's the only advice I can give.

Nikki

Robert Flory 06-04-2005 04:26 AM

Trees should be okay once they get rooted, otherwise try floating plants ;-)

bob

minnowbetta 07-05-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Far Thunder (Post 508124)
Hau kolas..quick question; I'm getting contradictory answers, thought I'd assimilate whatever you can contribute. I've a 100-gallon tank that I'm thinking of converting to planted. However, one of the occupants ofthis tank is a common pl*co who is fairly large at about 16" of length. I've had smaller pl*cos absolutely tear up plants in smaller aquariums. This guy/girl/whatever has never been in a planted tank, and due to size I won't put him in a smaller tank to "see what happens". So the question: in your experiences, what's the probability that a large pl*co like this will destroy a planted tank of this volume? If so, any suggestions of plants that might fair "better" in this environment and any that should be avoided? TIA. :)
--
**FREE LEONARD PELTIER NOW**

pleco don't bother plants as long there is algae to munch!.about destroying plants?i think the size.one wip of large pleco's tale can uproot your plants..