Old 21-04-2005, 03:30 AM
Bruce Geist

Default Discus are awesome! Q: temperature for Discus?

To all:

I am keeping some Discus fish in my planted tank temporarily for a
brother-in-law. I am completely bewitched by these gorgeous fish! What a
great complement to a planted tank.

Please see pictures of my tank he http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist

There is one picture of a mated Discus pair in the first picture gallery you
will see on my site. Under "Fish I've Kept" (see bottom of first web page)
there are more pictures of these really beautiful creatures.

For those of you that have kept Discus in a planted tank, here is a question
for you: what temperature do you keep your tank at? I have, for the past
six weeks since I received these Discus, kept the tank at about 78 degrees
F. I hear Discus do better at 82 degrees F. Does anyone else have
experience keeping Discus at the lower temperature?

I am hoping that the lower temperature will have no long term adverse
affects. So far, this pair seems to be no worse for the wear. They have
bred multiple times in six weeks-- I should be so lucky!

Bruce

Old 21-04-2005, 04:35 AM
Jim Anderson

In article ,
says...
[...]

Years ago I had an Amazon community planted tank, 4 red turquoise Discus
and a bunch of different tetras. Kept the temp at 79F, all was well,
they grew big fat and happy and they breed like rabbits. In the 4 years
I had them, they were never a problem. You should get you some.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Old 21-04-2005, 02:27 PM
Nikki Casali

Bruce Geist wrote:
To all:

I am keeping some Discus fish in my planted tank temporarily for a
brother-in-law. I am completely bewitched by these gorgeous fish! What a
great complement to a planted tank.

Please see pictures of my tank he http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist

Forget the discus, I'm bewitched by that gorgeous tank!

Nikki

Old 21-04-2005, 02:39 PM
sophiefishstuff

In message , Nikki Casali
writes
Bruce Geist wrote:
To all:
I am keeping some Discus fish in my planted tank temporarily for a
brother-in-law. I am completely bewitched by these gorgeous fish!
What a great complement to a planted tank.
Please see pictures of my tank he
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist

Forget the discus, I'm bewitched by that gorgeous tank!

it's fantastic, isn't it?
--
sophie

www.freewebs.com/fishstuff
(under construction. ish.)

Old 21-04-2005, 06:39 PM

Beautiful tank you got there Bruce. Congratulations.
What size is it?

And you are right those Discus are really pretty fish.
Never seen them in my local Fish stores.

Old 22-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Bruce Geist

Thanks very much for the kind words. My tank is 135 gallons. I have had the
thing running now more than five years, something I am proud of. Keeping
things pruned is a bit of work, but its fun. We do have a great hobby don't
we?

I have never before tried keeping Discus. I am amazed at how well they're
doing with the rest of the fish in my tank. I did not expect they would do
so well as community tank fish. They laid eggs again last night! I had
always heard they like a really warm and lonely tank..

-b

oups.com...

Old 22-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Bruce Geist