Old 25-04-2005, 08:57 PM
David J. Braunegg

Default Is There a FAQ?

Is there a FAQ for planting an aquarium? I've added some plants to my
1.5-year old, 10-gallon aquarium (Anubias, Cryptocoryne, and Valisneria),
but now I am wondering if I should be changing my setup. My biggest
question right now regards substrate: Do I need to replace my gravel
(brightly-colored Estes Ultrastone that the kids picked out) with something
else? I've been tempted to change over to natural gravel for the looks (if
I can get the kids bought into it), but if I am going to go to the trouble
of pulling all the gravel and replacing it, I'd like to get it right and not
have to do it again.

I'm willing to do some reading, but haven't found a website that really
explains the "how-to's" and "do's and don't's" of planted aquariums.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Dave

Old 25-04-2005, 09:32 PM
dfreas

Don't sweat it. You will find that plants will grow in just about any
substrate. The reason substrate is so important is that many of us are
pushing the limits of a planted tank and the smallest details can make
the difference between a beautiful tank and a rotting garbage heap.

If you haven't put in very bright lighting and thought about putting
together a CO2 system and regularly adding plant supplements then your
gravel will be sufficient. And honestly I wouldn't even suggest going
to all that trouble in a ten gallon tank - unless you really know your
stuff messing around with water chemistry for the success of plants in
a 10g tank is an easy way to end up with dead fish and unhappy
children.

Stick to easy plants - the anubias was an excellent choice. Vacuum the
gravel less often than you have been (and less thoroughly) and focus
your energy on giving them enough light. If you do that then they will
do well enough to give you a beautiful planted aquarium no matter what
substrate you use.

-Daniel

Old 25-04-2005, 09:43 PM
Elaine T

Faqs are at http://faq.thekrib.com. You'll want the plant tank FAQs.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-04-2005, 01:37 AM
Jim Anderson

In article , djb@reverse-the-
er.miter.org says...
Is there a FAQ for planting an aquarium? I've added some plants to my
1.5-year old, 10-gallon aquarium (Anubias, Cryptocoryne, and Valisneria),
but now I am wondering if I should be changing my setup. My biggest
question right now regards substrate: Do I need to replace my gravel
(brightly-colored Estes Ultrastone that the kids picked out) with something
else? I've been tempted to change over to natural gravel for the looks (if
I can get the kids bought into it), but if I am going to go to the trouble
of pulling all the gravel and replacing it, I'd like to get it right and not
have to do it again.

I'm willing to do some reading, but haven't found a website that really
explains the "how-to's" and "do's and don't's" of planted aquariums.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Dave

Here is a nice bunch of info;
http://www.aquariumgarden.com/info.php?
doc_base=articles/article_links.php

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Old 03-05-2005, 05:14 AM
Watercress

Your substrate should hopefully be a source of iron. The size of the
gravel should be fairly small to help the plants take root. There are
actually specialty substrates just for aquatic plants, do some research
on an online retailer like www.thatfishplace.com and you will quickly
find them. You will also need a good plant fertilizer, I like the
Seachem product line. You need to get fluoresent lighting made for
plants. I use the Zoo Med tubes. Oh, you need a carbon dioxide
source. I do it using a yeast and sugar solution in a DIY generator.

It is actually a lot of work to get everything set up. Are you sure
you want to do this?

Is there a FAQ? Karl Warner Gardening 10 23-12-2005 02:05 AM
Is there anyone there? John Flax United Kingdom 25 30-11-2003 12:43 PM
FAQ List - FAQ List - FAQ List cormaic United Kingdom 2 06-11-2003 06:37 PM
There HAS to be a twelve step program out there.................. madgardener Gardening 15 06-11-2003 04:02 PM
help, is there anybody out there! dennis Gardening 1 27-03-2003 02:44 AM