Old 28-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Connie

Default cycling with plants

Can you cycle with plants in the tank...??? Can they make it through the
high amonia spikes?

Old 28-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Jim Anderson

In article ,
says...

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Old 28-04-2005, 11:10 PM
Connie

According to that article, yes... ammonia is good for plants. But while
cycling my tank, my plants died off... well the anacharis did anyhow ( and I
thought that was a VERY hardy plant)... I made my ammonia spike to above 5
ppm to initiate my fishless cycle.

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...

Old 28-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Connie

Ok - Here is my tank set up -
I put ammonia in the tank to start the fishless cycle, about a week ago.
The ammonia spiked to off the charts, at least 8.0 ppm. My nitrite is 0.50,
PH is 7.8, Nitrates 0
I had money wort and anacharis and they both died. I am guessing the ammonia
was just to high??
I have laterite mixed with my large gravel. Gravel depth is about 3-4
inches. HOB aqauclear filter, 150 watt heater (76-78 degrees). CO2 injector
bought from Petsmart.
Bought the plants, looked healthy with good green leaves. Now they are
falling apart, and brown.

Thanks for help,
Connie

Old 29-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Jim Anderson

In article ,
says...

"Connie" wrote in message
According to that article, yes... ammonia is good for plants. But while
cycling my tank, my plants died off... well the anacharis did anyhow ( and
I thought that was a VERY hardy plant)... I made my ammonia spike to above
5 ppm to initiate my fishless cycle.

"Jim Anderson" wrote in message
et...
In article ,
says...

Can you cycle with plants in the tank...??? Can they make it through the
high amonia spikes?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

I think the main point of the article is with a heavily planted tank...
there is no cycle, the plants use up all of the waste. So if you start
with a heavily planted tank and get it balanced and running for a month,
you can add fish and there will not be a cycle.

Old 29-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Jim Anderson

In article , fro2750
@frontiernet.my_finger.net says...

"Connie" wrote in message
[...]

.... and all of the bacteria you have grow, will starve to death and
pollute the tank.

Old 29-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Celtic_Wanderer

I added five or so plants before I added any fish to my tank. I than added
two platys to my tank to cycle it. It's been a month and half and I have
not had any problems. As a matter of fact, I never had any trace of
ammonia, nitrates or nitrites.

I now have a dozen or so plants and twenty fish and everyone is doing great.
I have read that in a planted tank the cycling process is different and that
you may never see traces of ammonia, nitrates or nitrites because the plant
absorb it before they reach measurable levels.

--
Celtic Wanderer
http://home.comcast.net/~Celtic_wanderer

Old 02-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Justin

Hi all,

In reading

"Ok - Here is my tank set up -
I put ammonia in the tank to start the fishless cycle, about a week ago.
The ammonia spiked to off the charts, at least 8.0 ppm. My nitrite is
0.50, PH is 7.8, Nitrates 0"

I thought that at the higher ends of PH that ammonia is harder to break
down...? I don't know if this helps at all... From what i read in that
article, the plants soak up the amonia direct from the water so this may no
even be relevant... But I have been advised by my LFS to make sure in my
planted tank that I don't let the PH get too high or I will have a problem
with amonia no breaking down.

Justin.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Connie

I don't know what happened to my plants, they all died. I thought maybe
cause the ammonia was off the charts, at least 8.0 ppm, but from reading, it
appears ammonia is good for plants. If not the ammonia, I have no idea why
my plants died. I have good lighting (DIY for a planted tank), CO2, laterite
in my gravel... everything you need.

In regards to your question, "But I have been advised by my LFS to make sure
in my
planted tank that I don't let the PH get too high or I will have a problem
with amonia no breaking down." My tank was set up less than 2 weeks ago. I
added ammonia. My level skyrocketed. Now my ammonia is 0, and my nitrites
have gone through the roof. So I am half way there. I thought my ph would
come down a bit with the CO2, but it hasn't yet.