Old 02-05-2005, 01:33 PM
GraffixPhreak

Default Propagation of Hornwort

Alright I know this is probably a simple answer, but I bought a hornwort
plant and it is large, probably over 2'. I was planning on clipping it
and growing them into new plants. I heard any piece of stem will grow
into a new plant. Is this true and are there any sort of restrictions to
viable stem?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:56 PM
sophiefishstuff

In message , GraffixPhreak
-DONTEMAIL writes
Alright I know this is probably a simple answer, but I bought a hornwort
plant and it is large, probably over 2'. I was planning on clipping it
and growing them into new plants. I heard any piece of stem will grow
into a new plant. Is this true and are there any sort of restrictions to
viable stem?

anything small enough to get stuck in your filter might be a problem.
I've never come across the end of any piece of hornwort rotting, so in
theory I imagine anything would grow. In practice I don't think I'd go
smaller than an inch.

I have to say my main problem with hormwort is _not_ propagating it. I
think it have plans to take over the world, like a lanky, feathery
version of duckweed.
--
sophie

www.freewebs.com/fishstuff
(under construction. ish.)
Old 03-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Elaine T

sophiefishstuff wrote:
In message , GraffixPhreak
-DONTEMAIL writes

Alright I know this is probably a simple answer, but I bought a hornwort
plant and it is large, probably over 2'. I was planning on clipping it
and growing them into new plants. I heard any piece of stem will grow
into a new plant. Is this true and are there any sort of restrictions to
viable stem?

anything small enough to get stuck in your filter might be a problem.
I've never come across the end of any piece of hornwort rotting, so in
theory I imagine anything would grow. In practice I don't think I'd go
smaller than an inch.

I have to say my main problem with hormwort is _not_ propagating it. I
think it have plans to take over the world, like a lanky, feathery
version of duckweed.

Must be nice! The ends of my hornwort rot and drop leaflets almost as
fast as the end grows. Wonder what I'm doing wrong?

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 03-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Peter Demski

Mine do the same thing with the ends. I would suggest cutting the hornwort
just above where it splits(mine tends to spiderweb out). If yours likes
to grow in a straight piece you could just cut it up into 4x6" pieces and
you
will have a bunch of 2' pieces in no time. It's a great easy plant

Peter

"Elaine T" wrote in message
sophiefishstuff wrote:
In message , GraffixPhreak
-DONTEMAIL writes

Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 AM
sophiefishstuff

In message , Elaine T
writes
sophiefishstuff wrote:
In message , GraffixPhreak
-DONTEMAIL writes

[...]

I grow hornwort in entirely "wrong" environments. One tank is cold water
& less than one watt per gallon (though it does get direct sunlight for
a few hours a day - this is the UK, so that's occasionally pitiful! -
and it grows thick and dark and lush and bushy; the other tank is 24 C
and just over a watt per gallon and every week or so I have to take lots
out. Any ends pushed into the gravel go a bit peculiar ("modified
leaves", apparently) but they don't split or rot. Anything floating
doesn't actually have "ends" anyway...

--
sophie

www.freewebs.com/fishstuff