GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Setting up new planted tank... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/93897-setting-up-new-planted-tank.html)

Phil Williamson 11-05-2005 06:57 PM

Setting up new planted tank...

Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a 15 gal high tank and would like to plant it.
I'm planning on lining the bottom with an inch or so of fluorite and then an
inch of black sand that I have left over from other tanks. I have a Hagen
CO2 canister system that uses yeast, aquaclear 150 (and a mini if needed),
adequate heating. For lighting I have an incandescent hood with 2 x 10 watt
all-glass aquarium light bulbs rated at 6,500K, I also have a 2nd hood with
the same light setup if I need it.

Does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction?

Phil..

Elaine T 11-05-2005 09:00 PM

Phil Williamson wrote:
Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a 15 gal high tank and would like to plant it.
I'm planning on lining the bottom with an inch or so of fluorite and then an
inch of black sand that I have left over from other tanks. I have a Hagen
CO2 canister system that uses yeast, aquaclear 150 (and a mini if needed),
adequate heating. For lighting I have an incandescent hood with 2 x 10 watt
all-glass aquarium light bulbs rated at 6,500K, I also have a 2nd hood with
the same light setup if I need it.

Does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction?

Phil..

answered in rec.aquaria.fw.misc

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

djay 12-05-2005 04:57 AM

"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm planning on setting up a 15 gal high tank and would like to plant it.
I'm planning on lining the bottom with an inch or so of fluorite and then
an
inch of black sand that I have left over from other tanks. I have a Hagen
CO2 canister system that uses yeast, aquaclear 150 (and a mini if needed),
adequate heating. For lighting I have an incandescent hood with 2 x 10
watt
all-glass aquarium light bulbs rated at 6,500K, I also have a 2nd hood
with
the same light setup if I need it.

Does this sound like I'm heading in the right direction?

Phil..

I'd loose the incandescents and replace them with screw in 15 ~ 20 watt
flourescents.

Djay

Phil Williamson 12-05-2005 10:54 PM

Those are the ones I'm talking about, I re-used the old incandescent hood to
do it.

Works like a charm... :)

djay 13-05-2005 04:25 AM

Then you should be good 2 go. Do those throw off much heat?

Phil Williamson 16-05-2005 05:25 PM

I can touch the bulb with my hand and no get burned. No bad considering how
much light they are putting out..