GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   co2 replacement (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/95517-co2-replacement.html)

[email protected] 07-06-2005 11:12 PM

co2 replacement

Hi,

I found this:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Natural+...-10143-C-.aspx

What is your opinion on this product?
Does it really replace a (diy)co2 system?

Thanks

Elaine T 08-06-2005 01:12 AM

wrote:
Hi,

I found this:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Natural+...-10143-C-.aspx

What is your opinion on this product?
Does it really replace a (diy)co2 system?

Thanks

I don't know anything about the product you've pointed to, but I use
Flourish Excel instead of CO2 and would recommend it without hesitation.
Maybe this product is something similar. Flourish Excel comes close
to replacing DIY CO2 - Seachem says it's about 70% as good.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Rocco Moretti 08-06-2005 02:29 PM

wrote:
Hi,

I found this:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Natural+...-10143-C-.aspx

What is your opinion on this product?
Does it really replace a (diy)co2 system?

Well, it's mentioned on the krib:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...ake-oil.html#1

I'm not able to find a definitive answer on ingredients, and the
purported manufacturer's website (http://www.marcweissco.com/) doesn't
even list it as a product anymore. Caveat emptor.

[email protected] 09-06-2005 05:50 AM

So what is the consensus?

Use a DYi co2 system or excel?

Thanks

Elaine T 09-06-2005 06:24 PM

wrote:
So what is the consensus?

Use a DYi co2 system or excel?

Thanks

I've done both. DIY is cheap, a bit of work, but gives real CO2 with
the pH lowering benefits, fast plant growth, and low algae. You have to
keep KH under control for it to work well, and it takes some fiddling
with the yeast/water mixture. I used to hook gallon jars of honey mead
up to my 29 gallon tank because you gat a much longer, slower
fermentation from honey than from sugar. Plus you get something good at
the end. ;-)

Excel is very easy, costs more, and doesn't give quite as much growth as
CO2. It works no matter what the KH is and doesn't give any risk of
lowering pH too far.

My tanks are small - 2, 10, and 15 gallons - so DIY CO2 would be hard to
control and Excel isn't too expensive on that scale. Excel has provided
a great alternative and I have the lushest 2 gallon tank I've ever
managed by using it.

If I had 30 gallons or more, I'd go to DIY C02.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

[email protected] 09-06-2005 07:08 PM

Thanks Elaine...

I am not looking for crazy growth, I just want to keep healthy plants.
My tank is already full as it is, I don't need rapid growth at all. :)
I want the plants to be healthy and if possible blossom.

So in that sense I think Exel would be enough for my needs.
How much does cost a bottle?

Daniel Morrow 09-06-2005 10:50 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Elaine...

I am not looking for crazy growth, I just want to keep healthy plants.
My tank is already full as it is, I don't need rapid growth at all. :)
I want the plants to be healthy and if possible blossom.

So in that sense I think Exel would be enough for my needs.
How much does cost a bottle?

It costs $04.49 for 8.5 onces from www.thatpetplace.com which treats 50
gallons for 1-2 months. I back elaine up on this. Later!

[email protected] 10-06-2005 01:03 AM

Hmm I have a 35gal tank, so the 16oz would last me 6 months?
Is this a good estimate?
At $8 a bottle it doesnt seem expensive?

I know little about diy co2, how long would a 2L pop bottle last?
And how do I know how to regulate the amount of co2 in the tank?

The constant checking to make sure ph doesnt swing too much?

excel just seems an easy solution. :)

Elaine T 10-06-2005 01:54 AM

wrote:
Hmm I have a 35gal tank, so the 16oz would last me 6 months?
Is this a good estimate?
At $8 a bottle it doesnt seem expensive?

I know little about diy co2, how long would a 2L pop bottle last?
And how do I know how to regulate the amount of co2 in the tank?

The constant checking to make sure ph doesnt swing too much?

excel just seems an easy solution. :)

Maybe it's not more expensive... Sugar and yeast are so cheap, I just
assumed it would cost more. Maybe not for a small tank.

I think I was getting about 2-3 weeks of fermentation out of my 2l pop
bottles, and I just used a little clear plastic cup turned upside-down
to trap a bubble of CO2 underwater near the filter where water flowed
past. When the cup didn't stay full of CO2 any more, I replaced the
bottle. I never had big pH shifts - maybe 0.3 units so I didn't worry
too much about testing.

My plants sure love the combo of Flourish Excel and Flourite - that's
for sure!

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Daniel Morrow 11-06-2005 05:29 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I found this:

http://www.petsolutions.com/Natural+...I-C-10143-C-.a
spx

What is your opinion on this product?
Does it really replace a (diy)co2 system?

Thanks

There are other options like the co2 fizz factory by jungle and aquarium
products mini co2 injector, plant food tabs (I must say that alone has made
a big difference wit my amazon sword plant as it is growing some now) and
other co2 kits. These are for small tanks only (your tank isn't small but it
may be small enough in the long run) and are not economical for large tanks
in the long run. There are a lot of products out there that can help or
totally fix plant nutrition or plant substance use problems. Browse large
fish supply companies' catalogs for ideas. Good luck and later!

[email protected] 13-06-2005 06:38 PM

What are the signs of lack of co2?

Elaine T 13-06-2005 07:26 PM

wrote:
What are the signs of lack of co2?

Algae and slow-growing plants.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Elaine T 14-06-2005 05:28 AM

Elaine T wrote:
wrote:

What are the signs of lack of co2?

Algae and slow-growing plants.

Whoops. Forgot the big one! A fall in KH but a rise in pH. The rise
in pH is how you know it's not "old tank syndrome." Some plants can use
the carbon present as carbonate buffer in the tank when they're starved
for CO2. The carbonate gets used by the plants in an unusual way that
leaves excess OH- in the tank water so pH rises rather than falls.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

[email protected] 14-06-2005 06:02 PM

I better order some excel then. :)

I guess I would start seeing fish dying correct?

[email protected] 14-06-2005 07:37 PM

I was wondering what is the correct dosage for a 35gal heavely planted
(I have around 15 diferent plants).

Seachem website states 1 cap every two days for a 50gal tank.
Am I correct assuming then 1 cap every three days?

thanks