Old 17-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Bill Stock

Default Cabomba moulting

I bought some Cabomba a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to do OK at first,
but has been losing needles lately. I know the water was too alkaline for
it, but my CO2 regulator was delayed. I have the CO2 running now and the PH
is down to 7.5ish for now. I plan to go to 7, once I get a PH controller.
The soil is not the greatest either, plain aquarium gravel (clown puke) with
quite a bit of natural sediment. Everything else is OK, light, Iron, N-P-K,
etc.

So do you think the PH is the main issue? It does seem to look a little
better tonight, but that's somewhat subjective.

Old 17-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Nikki Casali

Bill Stock wrote:

I bought some Cabomba a couple of weeks ago and it seemed to do OK at first,
but has been losing needles lately. I know the water was too alkaline for
it, but my CO2 regulator was delayed. I have the CO2 running now and the PH
is down to 7.5ish for now. I plan to go to 7, once I get a PH controller.
The soil is not the greatest either, plain aquarium gravel (clown puke) with
quite a bit of natural sediment. Everything else is OK, light, Iron, N-P-K,
etc.

So do you think the PH is the main issue? It does seem to look a little
better tonight, but that's somewhat subjective.

My water is liquid rock and I presume this is the reason why I can't
grow this plant. My pH will naturally rise beyond 8.2. But I now inject
CO2 for the plants and get the pH down to 7.25. The Cabomba still dies.
The lighting is 3 watts per gallon. Two things I can do is soften the
water or increase the lighting. Neither of which I'm prepared to do, so
I avoid the plant. Let me know if you find a solution!

Nikki

Old 18-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Bill Stock

"Nikki Casali" wrote in message
Bill Stock wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nikki, another DOOMED plant.

I don't think I have Cabomba caroliniana , it think it's Cabomba furcáta (C.
piauhyensis). Which requires even more light, but likes warmer water.

It does seem to have stopped shedding for now. I'm hoping it will keep going
until I get the PH down to 7 and improve the soil.

What were you using for soil, Fluorite?

Old 19-06-2005, 01:05 PM
clairebear546

my cabomba is doing fine and I only check the ph.

claire