Old 17-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Reel Mckoi

Default Red algae

Clorox

Stephen Levine wrote:
This is

I have a simple pond 6'x20' created by a liner - no plants. The pond is
about 6 years old. I have always had algae problems which made the water
cloudy ,but have lived with the condition only dying the water black to make
it more palatable.

I had to clean out my pond this spring - a leak in the liner. Now, the water
is clear but there is a red algae floating on the surface. Sometimes there
are small bubbles.

There are about 20 goldfish. The fish seem to enjoy the cleaner water - they
are much more lively than past years. But I worry about the "red tide."

Is there anything to do?

Stephen11962

Old 17-06-2005, 04:37 AM
R. Pierce Butler

Reel Mckoi wrote in
:

Clorox

Stephen Levine wrote:
This is

I have a simple pond 6'x20' created by a liner - no plants. The pond
is about 6 years old. I have always had algae problems which made the
water cloudy ,but have lived with the condition only dying the water
black to make it more palatable.

I had to clean out my pond this spring - a leak in the liner. Now, the
water is clear but there is a red algae floating on the surface.
Sometimes there are small bubbles.

There are about 20 goldfish. The fish seem to enjoy the cleaner water -
they are much more lively than past years. But I worry about the "red
tide."

Is there anything to do?

Stephen11962

We used copper sulfate to control normal green algae in our pond and it
didn't harm the fish. The Illinois Dept. of Wildlife and Conservation?
Fish and Wildlife? had some free publications that were useful to us.

rj
Old 17-06-2005, 06:30 AM

Water changes are pretty simple, adding 50% or more floating plants,
like Hyacinth etc will also curb the algae.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 17-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Cracklin'

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote in
:

Clorox

We used copper sulfate to control normal green algae in our pond and it
didn't harm the fish. The Illinois Dept. of Wildlife and Conservation?
Fish and Wildlife? had some free publications that were useful to us.

rj

=============
Please check headers as we have a vicious troll posting on rec.ponds using
other people's names. He would love for you to KILL your fish. McKoi did
not write that post.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
Do not feed the trolls.

Old 18-06-2005, 09:28 AM
R. Pierce Butler

"Cracklin'" wrote in -
secrets.com:

"R. Pierce Butler" wrote in message
Reel Mckoi wrote in
:

Clorox

We used copper sulfate to control normal green algae in our pond and it
didn't harm the fish. The Illinois Dept. of Wildlife and Conservation?
Fish and Wildlife? had some free publications that were useful to us.

rj

Please check headers as we have a vicious troll posting on rec.ponds

using
other people's names. He would love for you to KILL your fish. McKoi

did
not write that post.

we used it at low overall concentrations and sprayed problem areas
directly.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/wkrec/Bluestone.PDF

rj