Old 18-06-2005, 06:37 AM
Toffee

Default planting in pots

Got a very large tank with has 3" of sand and no UGF. Thinking of putting
plants in pots (say 6"-8" pots with holes on sides) and bury them in sand.
This way I don't have to redo all the substrate.

Will it work? What would the best best substrate for these pots? I am
going to plant large swords ( Echinodorus bleheri
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cart/i...mazonSword.jpg)

Thanks for helping.

Old 20-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Elaine T

Toffee wrote:
Got a very large tank with has 3" of sand and no UGF. Thinking of putting
plants in pots (say 6"-8" pots with holes on sides) and bury them in sand.
This way I don't have to redo all the substrate.

Will it work? What would the best best substrate for these pots? I am
going to plant large swords ( Echinodorus bleheri
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cart/i...mazonSword.jpg)

Thanks for helping.

Why not plant directly in the sand? It's good for roots.

Yes, planting in pots will work too. You may as well use Flourite if
you're going to the trouble of potting. Plants love the stuff.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 21-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Registered User

Location: Devon, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine T
Toffee wrote:
Got a very large tank with has 3" of sand and no UGF. Thinking of putting
plants in pots (say 6"-8" pots with holes on sides) and bury them in sand.
This way I don't have to redo all the substrate.

Will it work? What would the best best substrate for these pots? I am
going to plant large swords ( Echinodorus bleheri
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cart/i...mazonSword.jpg)

Thanks for helping.

Why not plant directly in the sand? It's good for roots.

Yes, planting in pots will work too. You may as well use Flourite if
you're going to the trouble of potting. Plants love the stuff.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
There is little point in keeping your plants in pots as it won’t help them with their growth. They are only in pots to begin with for display purposes – it also helps shops as they can keep the plants bunched together.

If you want to succeed with plant growth, remove the plants from their pots and place them in to a nutrient rich substrate.

Hope this helps