Old 20-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Troy Bruder

Default Filtering with Carbon

I dose my planted tank with Tropica Master Grow and Flourish Iron... If I
add activated carbon to my canister filter, will I simplying be removing the
fertlizers by way of the carbon??

Thanks,
Troy

Old 21-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Dick

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:32:51 -0400, "Troy Bruder"
wrote:

I dose my planted tank with Tropica Master Grow and Flourish Iron... If I
add activated carbon to my canister filter, will I simplying be removing the
fertlizers by way of the carbon??

Thanks,
Troy

Why do you want to add carbon? Unless you have some special reason to
use it, don't. I quit using carbon in my 5 planted tanks about a year
ago. No regrets. Glad to be rid of the nasty stuff. I keep it
around in case I find some special need, something to remove, but it
hasn't come up yet.

dick
Old 21-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Shagster

My water just isn't as crystal clear as I would like it to be... Even with
a 18 Watt UV Sterilizer (Turbo Twist).. Thought the carbon might help..

Old 21-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Steve

Shagster wrote:
My water just isn't as crystal clear as I would like it to be... Even with
a 18 Watt UV Sterilizer (Turbo Twist).. Thought the carbon might help..

Carbon will certainly make your water very clear and colorless. I have a
feeling (no proof) that the clear water lets low plants such as anubias
and crypts get more light in a deep aquarium.

I'm presently running a bag of carbon in the canister filter of my
90-gal planted aquarium, because I like clear water. I've also gone for
years without carbon - it certainly isn't necessary.
Steve
Old 22-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Paul A. Ergh

I don't use carbon and my planted tank water is crystal clear. It is
actually clearer than the water in my non-planted tank that I do use carbon
for.

Old 22-06-2005, 03:25 AM
Shagster

I guess my REAL question was... Will activated carbon filter out plant
fertilizers like Iron supplements?

Troy

Old 22-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Elaine T

Shagster wrote:
I guess my REAL question was... Will activated carbon filter out plant
fertilizers like Iron supplements?

Troy

Yes, but nothing a bit of extra dosing can't fix, especially if you dose
daily. I've been running one of my planted tanks with carbon because a
new piece of mopani wood has been turning the water brown. The plants
are growing fine.

I test all of my tanks for iron, and the ones where I'm using carbon for
whatever reason usually need more iron/trace element fertilizer. Carbon
should leave the potash, phosphate, and nitrate in the water so no need
to change those.

BTW, be careful to buy good carbon. Some brands are treated with
phosphoric acid and have a LOT of residual phosphate in them. If you're
not sure, set up a phosphate test with distilled water and drop some
carbon into the test tube.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 22-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Dick

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:09:13 -0400, "Shagster"
wrote:

My water just isn't as crystal clear as I would like it to be... Even with
a 18 Watt UV Sterilizer (Turbo Twist).. Thought the carbon might help..

.. .
wrote:

I dose my planted tank with Tropica Master Grow and Flourish Iron... If I
add activated carbon to my canister filter, will I simplying be removing
the
fertlizers by way of the carbon??

Thanks,
Troy

Why do you want to add carbon? Unless you have some special reason to
use it, don't. I quit using carbon in my 5 planted tanks about a year
ago. No regrets. Glad to be rid of the nasty stuff. I keep it
around in case I find some special need, something to remove, but it
hasn't come up yet.

dick

I like crystal clear water also. I love the added depth in color I
see.

The chemicals absorbed by charcoal are not visible so far as I know.

You can buy filter media that strains out smaller particles. You will
need to clean it more often however. I use a fine media in two of my
larger tanks. I continue even though my 10 gallon tanks are crystal
clear with regular media.

My theory of filtration is this: The water coming from the tank
carries solids from the tank. Passing through the media strains out
the larger particles, but smaller particle pass through and back into
the tank where the bacteria change it into a useable form. Thus, the
bacteria really clean the solids. Those larger particles held back by
the filter, don't stay large. Erosion reduces their size and they
then return to the tank. I theorize that this particle reduction is
the real value of filtration as it makes it easier for the bacteria to
do their job.

I have a 29 gallon "Jebo" tank with a built in filtration system. It
has a submersible water pump that moves the tank water to a tube with
holes which deposits the water over two holding tanks. The media is
laid in the holding tanks between the tube and the bottom thus gravity
provides the flow through the media. Ceramic donuts are under the
media and the water flows from the bottom to the right end where it
continues its "clean" flow back down into the tank. It has so much
surface area I rarely have to clean the media.

Do you have live plants? I have faith that they are important. I
even keep them in my graveless "hospital" tank.

I wish I could tell you some magic that makes tanks' crystal clear. I
have tried various approaches and now that my tanks are clear, I can't
say how they got that way. I do stay clear of any chemicals. I add
nothing but flake food, air bubbles and filtration. I even removed
the "bio wheels" from my 75 gallon tank as I realized I was doing
additional maintenance just to keep the water flow needed to keep them
turning. My three 10 gallon tanks all have Whisper Jr. filters. (I
removed their charcoal over a year ago). These are the tanks with
regular media. I rarely need to clean the media. One of the filters
pumps half the water though compared to the other two. I am tempted
to turn it off and see what happens. It is hard to believe the
trickle of water through this filter is helping. This tank has only
snails for scavengers and yet it is great looking, lots of plant
growth even though the first year I could hardly get the plants to
grow.

I think tanks mature. Somewhere along the way they become self
sustaining. I have had my 5 tanks for over 2 years. The first year
was the hardest. I do change 20% of the water twice weekly.

I would suggest staying clear of chemicals. I have had bad luck with
them. "Natural Selection" will kill off fish and plants not
compatible and those comfortable with your tank will survive.

Good luck. Whether your efforts or time bring the desired water
clarity it is hard to say.

dick
Old 22-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Steve

wrote:

My water just isn't as crystal clear as I would like it to be... Even with
a 18 Watt UV Sterilizer (Turbo Twist).. Thought the carbon might help..

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Activated carbon filtration mainly removes dissolved organic carbons
(D.O.C.). The D.O.C. gives the water a brownish tint, which the carbon
removes nicely.
Steve
Old 22-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Shagster

That "brown'ish tint" is exactly what I'm trying to remove..... I think
I'll try throwing some carbon in, and giving it a shot for a while...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Troy

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..

Old 22-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Steve

Shagster wrote:
That "brown'ish tint" is exactly what I'm trying to remove..... I think
I'll try throwing some carbon in, and giving it a shot for a while...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Troy

Activated carbon filtration mainly removes dissolved organic carbons
(D.O.C.). The D.O.C. gives the water a brownish tint, which the carbon
removes nicely.
Steve

I think that may be "dissolved organic compunds".

The carbon I'm currently using is "Black Diamond premium activated
carbon" from Marineland Aquarium Products. I've also had good luck with
other "premium" or "high quality" carbon, including the "Magnum" brand.
The cheaper stuff (Hagen etc) works too, but seems to last less long and
absorb water tints more slowly. Here in Canada I've occasionally seen
"aquarium charcoal", which I'd avoid. It has to be "activated carbon" or
"activated" charcoal to do any good.

Good luck! Activated carbon seems to be pretty harmless stuff and it's
hard to see how you could go wrong with it. Perhaps just make sure to
wash out any very fine carbon dust first. Before use I put my carbon in
its mesh bag, then submerge it in a bucket of water and swish it around.
Steve

Old 23-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Dick

wrote:

[...]

Interesting. One problem I have avoided somehow. Where does the
D.O.C, come from? Dead vegetation, particular foods, or what? My 5
tanks have never shown a brownish tint. Is it a common problem?

dick
Old 23-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Dick

wrote:

[...]

I did a Google on D.O.C. and found a lot of information. I gather
there are many sources, but not all are visible. It will be
interesting to hear if Shagster is able to clear the brown with
Charcoal. Personally, I would be looking for the source in the tank
in order to remove the carbon source.

http://pearl.spatial.maine.edu/glossary/misc/doc.htm

dick
Old 23-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Dick

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:18:18 -0400, "Shagster"
wrote:

That "brown'ish tint" is exactly what I'm trying to remove..... I think
I'll try throwing some carbon in, and giving it a shot for a while...

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Troy

Please let us know if it works. I did a Google and found lots of
information. Here is one site:

Old 23-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Steve

Dick wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:57:46 -0400, Steve wrote:
Activated carbon filtration mainly removes dissolved organic carbons
(D.O.C.). The D.O.C. gives the water a brownish tint, which the carbon
removes nicely.
Steve

Interesting. One problem I have avoided somehow. Where does the
D.O.C, come from? Dead vegetation, particular foods, or what? My 5
tanks have never shown a brownish tint. Is it a common problem?

dick

Try using a white 5-gal pail for water changes, and you'll probably see
the brownish tint in your aquarium water. You may possibly see colour in
your tap water too, which is why they sell activated carbon filters for
drinking water (removes taste, odour, colour).
Steve