Old 25-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Paul A. Ergh

Default can worms live in the substrate - is it a good thing

I just got back from the LFS with a single serving of live black worms.
When I put them in the tank I was amazed to see a few "get away" by wiggling
into the substrate. Not sure why I was so amazed to see a worm burrow into
sand but I was.

Now I am wondering:
- can they survive in my laterite/fluorite/black sand substrate mixture?
- Will they ever come back out for a little stroll in the light or dark?
- Will they reproduce?
- Is it good for the tank/plants like in a backyard garden?
- Are there bad and good worms for aquaria?
- Is there an easy way to harvest worms for feeding similar to the way brine
shrimp are?

Any one have any experience keeping worms in their aquariums and care to
enlighten?

Old 25-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Paul A. Ergh

Forgot this one...

Will they get cooked by my 200w substrate heating I have in this 75g tank?
I doubt this one but I have no idea how hot or warm these cables actually
get.

news

Old 28-06-2005, 07:01 PM
Rocco Moretti

Paul A. Ergh wrote:

No experience myself, but here's what I've heard.

I just got back from the LFS with a single serving of live black worms.
When I put them in the tank I was amazed to see a few "get away" by wiggling
into the substrate. Not sure why I was so amazed to see a worm burrow into
sand but I was.

It's a decently well reported occurance. (Search for info on blackworms,
and you'll find it discussed.)

Now I am wondering:
- can they survive in my laterite/fluorite/black sand substrate mixture?

They eat bacteria and people can grow them on a brow paper towel
substrate, so my guess is that they'll probably be able to live.

- Will they ever come back out for a little stroll in the light or dark?

Occasionally they'll pop their heads out, and if a fish is nearby -
WHAM! one less worm.

- Will they reproduce?

Yes. They can reproduce by fragmetation, so if a fish gets one half, and
the other half is stuck in the substrate, there is a chance the
remaining half will survive and grow.

- Is it good for the tank/plants like in a backyard garden?

I doubt it's bad for the tank. At the very least, it's another food
source for your fish.

- Are there bad and good worms for aquaria?

It's said that tubifex worms, since they are (at least used to be) grown
in sewage, can carry parisites. True cultured blackworms aren't tubifex,
and are said not to carry disease, especially if you rinse them in
(clorinated) tap water before adding them to your tank. At any rate,
once you've added them to the tank, any diseases they were carring have
entered the system, whether they die quickly or go on to live in the
substrate.

- Is there an easy way to harvest worms for feeding similar to the way brine
shrimp are?

Blackworms are reputed to be fragile - no grabbing with tweezers. People
suggest using toothpicks/spoons to lift them out. There are more
elaborate methods used to seperate out the live ones from the dead,
rotting ones.

Will they get cooked by my 200w substrate heating I have in this 75g tank?

My guess is that they'll know enough to stay away from the hot cables.
Unless the surface of your substrate is cooking temperature, they'll
probably be fine.

There is a wealth of info on blackworms on the net - just do a google
search for blackworms, and you'll get lots of answers. (It's where I got
all of the above info.)
Old 29-06-2005, 12:52 AM
Elaine T

Paul A. Ergh wrote:
I just got back from the LFS with a single serving of live black worms.
When I put them in the tank I was amazed to see a few "get away" by wiggling
into the substrate. Not sure why I was so amazed to see a worm burrow into
sand but I was.

Now I am wondering:
- can they survive in my laterite/fluorite/black sand substrate mixture?

I've been feeding blackworms for many years and they do sometimes get
down into the substrate. It's not cause for concern. I currently do
have them surviving in Eco Complete/Fluorite.

- Will they ever come back out for a little stroll in the light or dark?

If they poke out of the substrate in numbers, your tank is low on
oxygen. Blackworms are a very good "indicator" organism. I've never
seen one out for a stroll probably because they're such tasty morsels to
the fish.

- Will they reproduce?

I've never seen any sort of blackworm plague in my tanks, so if they do,
it's minimal. They do reproduce to two worms if they're cut in half,
say by a fish.

- Is it good for the tank/plants like in a backyard garden?
- Are there bad and good worms for aquaria?
- Is there an easy way to harvest worms for feeding similar to the way brine
shrimp are?

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/doc...ackworms.shtml has lots
info on culturing.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 29-06-2005, 03:57 AM
Paul A. Ergh

excellent information. thanks.

I searched and searched before I posted. I am not sure what input I used
but now I feel like an idiot because I can find lots of great information.

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..