Old 07-03-2003, 12:35 AM
Mark Garmaise

Default red algae

I have red algae all over my 2 month old 72 gal. freshwater tank ,
especially on the plants . Looks like red dust . I've tried a sheet to cover
the tank , but I'm not sure if it's having any positive affect . Suggestions
?

Old 07-03-2003, 12:59 AM
WD

I've never heard of a red freshwater algae before today, and I found few
references. Are you sure it's algae, and not something someone dumped in
there?

Anyway, one of the refs I found:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/R...html/algea.htm

What I read in various places suggested that a diatom filter may help.

news

Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 AM
LeighMo

I have red algae all over my 2 month old 72 gal. freshwater tank ,
especially on the plants . Looks like red dust . I've tried a sheet to cover
the tank , but I'm not sure if it's having any positive affect .

I think this might be "brown algae" -- diatoms. It's common in newly set up
tanks, and may go away on its own.

Or get yourself some otocinclus catfish. They are very small, and are at their
best in groups, so get several. One for each ten gallons of tank volume.
They'll make short work of brown algae.

Leigh

Old 08-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Tasslehoff

Just my 7c, it could just be brown diatom type algae which is very common
with new and or low light tanks. It covers all gravel and ornaments quite
quickly (1-2 weeks). 6 or so Otoclinius Affinis or some other small
suckermouth type catfish live off this type of algae and will clear it out
overnight (2-3days).
If not make sure no direct sunlight comes in contact with the tank.

/Off topic:/
Has anyone tried sabotaging their LFS by inserting BBA spores and leaves
into the water supply/filtration system so they'll consider ordering true
SAE's and not mass ordering false siamensis or do they compensate by using
chemicals, Cu and no light? I know it sounds criminal but yesterday my LFS
really
p---ed me off. I entered the store with a peaceful open mind
and left uncharacteristically infuriated. I tried to explain what they had
offloaded to me 3 weeks ago and continue to sell were were false siamensis
but the head honcho would not have a bar of what I had to suggest. I showed
him a new beaut photo print from
http://www.aquaticscape.com/informat...gae/algae.html as well as the
differences from the Krib at which he nonchalently and ignorantly hinted
that 90% of whats on the internet is rubbish. Do false siamensis breed and
school better than SAE's as my LFS were quite insistant they were SAE's?
Well I packed up and left in a huff and today bought 4 absolutely beautiful
SAE's at a much smaller (mom and pop) store further down Bell St at 712
Plenty Road Reservoir, Melbourne.

P.S - Apologies to group for venting my frustration and the plug.
me now feel better. woohoo.
/end prog/