Old 05-07-2005, 04:13 AM
Stacy

Default What's the best way to rid a lake (27 year old condo property) waterline of a tree-weed species?...

It's a small batch Alder trees that once established they just go wild and,
considered more like a weed in the Norhwest.

Is there a product on the market where I could snip them young and rub
something on the cut area and have it affect ***only*** its own root system?

Is there a spike of some sort that can be tapped into the trunk that would
take it (only it) out?

Thanks for any tips or help...

--
----------
Thanks, Stacy

Old 05-07-2005, 04:51 AM
paul anderson

In my past the best way to get rid of any tree is to drill a hole in the
trunk kind of low and insert some thick copper wire in several places. This
always works for me. I just took out a 30 foot locust tree in 2 mionths
like this.
shosting.com...

Old 05-07-2005, 06:00 AM
Stacy

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:51:11 -0700, paul anderson wrote
(in article Psnye.15284$Hw5.6856@trndny09):

In my past the best way to get rid of any tree is to drill a hole in the
trunk kind of low and insert some thick copper wire in several places. This
always works for me. I just took out a 30 foot locust tree in 2 mionths
like this.

There's not much to drill yet, how about if I "knotched" it at the base and
wrapped (twist-tied) some regular copper wire there? Would that be basically
the same, having the copper leach into the root system?

Thanks for the reply...

shosting.com...

Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Rocco Moretti

Stacy wrote:
It's a small batch Alder trees that once established they just go wild and,
considered more like a weed in the Norhwest.

Is there a product on the market where I could snip them young and rub
something on the cut area and have it affect ***only*** its own root system?

I've haven't used it for that purpouse myself (although my father has),
but if it's not against your ethics, you could consider using a
glyphosate (Roundup) based herbicide. Instead of indiscriminately
spraying it on everything, you use gloves to rub it on just the leaves
of the plant you want to kill. If you don't drip it on everything, it's
effect should be limited to that plant.

Be aware that Roundup has warnings about it's effect on fish & other
aquatic life. But if you use the glove trick, and only apply if the
weather is going to be dry for the next day or two, you should be fine.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:59 AM
Eric Schreiber

paul anderson wrote:

In my past the best way to get rid of any tree is to drill a hole in
the trunk kind of low and insert some thick copper wire in several
places. This always works for me. I just took out a 30 foot locust
tree in 2 mionths like this.

How does that work? Does the copper poison the tree?

Or are you not mentioning the part where you run a million volts
through the copper

--
Eric Schreiber
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 06-07-2005, 04:45 AM

You can gridle the bark all the way around.

You take a small knife/axe etc and cut into the top layer of wood
throught the bark all the way around each sapling/root.

If you cannot get at it, try Triclopyr. It'll translocate, you can try
glyphosate, the round up.

It's fairly non toxic and degrades rapidly, 1/2 life was 2 days in
aquatic systems.
It binds to soil sediment rapidly and decomposes so it's that good for
aquatic submersed plants etc. Copper may work like describe also,
adding voltage will increase the reduction and this speed the process
also.

Does well on some plants that are somewhat like Alders, like Purple
loosestrife and is much less toxic than many other herbicides.

Give it 2 weeks or so.

The hillbilly approach is rope and a truck/wench.
Yank it out.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 AM

Also, the stump remover, KNO3...........applied after......

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 06-07-2005, 08:52 AM
bassett

They used to make Copper nails..
As for the Round-up, drill a series of holes round the tree and inject the
Round-up, or do as I did with some huge Pine tree,s drill a series of holes
round the base and get some Blackberry poison, mix one bottle of poison
with a litre of kerosene. and inject about 20 mill into each hole. and they
will kill your tree's, mine took about 18 months, but they where 5ft
across the girth and 60 ft high.
bassett

Old 06-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Rocco Moretti

Also, the stump remover, KNO3...........applied after......

As a bonus, you can use the leftovers for your aquarium ...

Old 06-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Rocco Moretti

Eric Schreiber wrote:
paul anderson wrote:

In my past the best way to get rid of any tree is to drill a hole in
the trunk kind of low and insert some thick copper wire in several
places. This always works for me. I just took out a 30 foot locust
tree in 2 mionths like this.

How does that work? Does the copper poison the tree?

Copper is pretty toxic - which is why it is used in aquaria to kill
parasites. It'll kill most invertebrate life - go over to
rec.aquaria.marine.reefs if you want an earful on the hazards of copper.
(Some people think that if you've ever treated a tank with a copper
based medicine, everything in that tank is rendered permanently
unsuitable for use in an invertebrate (reef) system.)
Old 19-07-2005, 02:58 AM
Aaron M

You might be able to get some good advice from you're local agricultural
extension office. They're usually affiliated with land grant
universities with agriculture programs.