Old 07-03-2003, 03:33 PM
John Pflum, Jr.

Default C02 System Recommendation

I need a recommendation on a C02 system setup.

Right now I have the "Gomberg" system with a CO2 tank leading
directly into an eheim difuser that releases into my tank. The
reason I am looking to change is that I get wild fluctuations in
my PH and at times the PH plunges danegoursly low -- to 6.4 or
less. I am pretty sure this is due to the end of tank dump
phenomanon because when I turn off the tank the PH recovers. It
just seems to me that the tank should last longer than it does --
only about 4 months for a 25 pound tank.

Is there a system out there where I can avoid the end of the tank
dump scenario?

Thanks.

--

John Pflum, Jr.
Email: jpflumjr at nuvox dot net

Old 07-03-2003, 04:10 PM
Bob Alston

Read the pressure off your regulator (the high pressure if a two guage
regulator). If the pressure is well above 500, then "tank dump" is not an
issue. If it is 500 or less, the regulator can be unstable and dump. (Some
people say 500 and other say 200)

How long has the tank been in use & what bubble rate? My 5 lb tank lasted 8
months on my 55 gallon tank.

Do you have a needle valve? If not, I recommend one. I think Dave now
sells them. If so, suggest you get one from him. they should help have a
stable flow of co2. Also, it appears that they may reduce or eliminate the
potential for end of tank dump syndrome.

Of course, if you think it is end of tank dump situation, the easiest thing
is to refill your tank!

Good luck.

Bob

Old 07-03-2003, 10:20 PM
LeighMo

Right now I have the "Gomberg" system with a CO2 tank leading
directly into an eheim difuser that releases into my tank. The
reason I am looking to change is that I get wild fluctuations in
my PH and at times the PH plunges danegoursly low -- to 6.4 or
less. I am pretty sure this is due to the end of tank dump
phenomanon because when I turn off the tank the PH recovers. It
just seems to me that the tank should last longer than it does --
only about 4 months for a 25 pound tank.

Get a needle valve, if you don't already have one.

And how big is your tank? I have a 20 pound cylinder and a 75 gallon tank.
It's been nine months since I installed it, and it's still going strong. Even
though I have a fair amount of turbulence in my tank.

I think you might have a leak somewhere. Have you checked? Dave has
instructions on his website (see the FAQ section). Or you could e-mail Dave
and ask his advice. He's very helpful.

Leigh

Old 08-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Bob Alston

A tank dump is a situation where the high pressure gets low enough, some
people say 500 pounds others say 200 pounts, that the regulator quits
working correctly and essentially increased the pressure from the high side,
effectively dumping (at lease more quickly) the rest of the co2. I have
read about people loosingentire tanks for fish from this.

I have also read a lot about the potential for a needle valve reducing or
possibly eliminating this threat. The arguement goes that if the normal
pressure is high enough, going out of the regulator, that increasing that
pressure in a dump situation will not cause an increase in flow thru the
needle valve. The needle valve is actually a "flow control" valve.

But again, as I said earlier, the best way to not have to be concerned with
this is to watch your pressure (high side) and when it gets near 500 lbs
refill your tank. (I just did myself).

Bob

P.S. If you want more info, do a google search on "co2 tank dump" and you
can have fun surfing.

.. .

Old 08-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Aquatic-store.com

You have a leak somewhere bottem line. I 25lbs tank should last you
10+ years Check all your seals. Do NOT WASTE your $ on a new system
just fix the problem you have.

Marcus
http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

Check out our updated store with co2 equipment, lighting, live plants
and more

Old 08-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Bob Alston

Is your tank a huge 25 pounds or 2-and-one-half pounds (2.5)??

How big is your tank and what bubble rate?

I concur that you don't need a new one. Just get a needle valve and check
for leaks in yours.

Bob