Old 15-07-2005, 09:03 PM
spiral_72

Default DIY trickle filter

I'm researching/designing my own wet/dry trickle filter. There seems to
be an abundance of info on the net but one thing still baffles me. How
is everyone getting a $15 powerhead to lift water from the filter back
into the top of the tank? I have tried several methods with the 300gph
powerhead I have, but it stalls at 2ft of lift.

My tank lid is about 4ft from the floor (55gal on a stand). I expect
whatever pump I use will need to lift 3.5ft at 125gph or so. With those
requirements I am looking at a pond or fountain pump. Yes?

Old 16-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Daniel Morrow

"spiral_72" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm researching/designing my own wet/dry trickle filter. There seems to
be an abundance of info on the net but one thing still baffles me. How
is everyone getting a $15 powerhead to lift water from the filter back
into the top of the tank?

If the whole wet/dry trickle filter system is sealed like a canister filter
it should work fine for you.

I have tried several methods with the 300gph
powerhead I have, but it stalls at 2ft of lift.

My tank lid is about 4ft from the floor (55gal on a stand). I expect
whatever pump I use will need to lift 3.5ft at 125gph or so. With those
requirements I am looking at a pond or fountain pump. Yes?

Check out www.thatpetplace.com for danner mag pumps. Even something as cheap
as a mag#2 might do everything you need. Keep in mind that powerheads (for
the same amount of electrical energy) pump more current but at a lower
pressure (less head height) while pumps pump less current at a higher
pressure. I think you will get better/more bang for your buck from danner
mag pumps, good luck later!