Old 22-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Default Sourcing potassium

Hi,

I'm obviously new here so "hello" to you all.

I'm not too sure how in depth you guys go with planted tanks so I apologise in advance if this seems an odd question - if it's not an odd question then great, perhaps someone can help!

I have a Juwel Rio 125, heavily planted, 3.6 WPG HO T8, CO2 30ppm, Dennerle substrate and micro ferts, macro ferts dosed daily (KNO3 and KH2PO4). pH 6.6, KH 3.5, GH 6, NO3 15ppm, PO4 1ppm.

Does anyone know where in the UK I can buy Potassium sulphate (K2SO4)? If not does anyone know where I can buy Muriate of Potash (KCl)? If so does anyone know how soluble either of these are? I'm after dosing potassium as well as nitrates and phosphates.

Thanks.
Old 22-07-2005, 11:25 PM
NCG NCG is offline
Registered User

Well, as it happens, I know that www.aquaessentials.co.uk will be selling K2SO4 (and KNO3 and KH2PO4) as of next week.

About the solubility of K2SO4, it's 12g per 100ml.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf225

Old 23-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Bill Stock

--
gf225

I would think most garden centres have KCL or hydroponics stores carry a lot
of the specialty items. If you don't mind paying the shipping there is also
GregWatson.com in the U.S..

You might also find this helpful
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00312.html. The Krib
is also a very good source of information.

Old 23-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Elaine T

Bill Stock wrote:
"gf225" wrote in message

[...]

That's not an odd question at all.

In addition to Bill's great suggestions, Kent makes Botanica K and
Seachem makes Flourish Potassium. The Kent product is dilute KCl; I
don't know what's in the Seachem stuff. Those products might be pricier
than what you're looking for since your tank is so large, but they're
easy to find for a quick fix. Google.co.uk lists plenty of aquarium
mail-order stores selling them.

KCl is extremely soluble - 34.7g/100 ml at 20C, increasing with
temperature. K2S04 isn't quite as soluble - 11.1g/100 ml at 20C.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 23-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Registered User

Thanks everyone. Most helpful. It's good to find a more "in-depth" UK forum at last.

Old 24-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Rocco Moretti

gf225 wrote:

Does anyone know where in the UK I can buy Potassium sulphate (K2SO4)?
If not does anyone know where I can buy Muriate of Potash (KCl)? If so
does anyone know how soluble either of these are? I'm after dosing
potassium as well as nitrates and phosphates.

Try your local supermarket/grocery. If you're lucky, they'll sell
sodium-free water softener salt (check the label - it's probably KCl).
In my local store, it's only about twice as expensive as regular water
softener salt - i.e. more than you can ever use in a tank for pocket
change.

Solubility of KCl is very good - 300+ g/L
K2SO4 is ~ 120 g/L
Old 26-07-2005, 02:56 AM
Justin

Hi all,

I may be a bit out of my league here... But I am also trying to source
K2SO4 and was excited when I found Muriate of Potash in a local brand here
in Australia. But I have been doing some more research on the net,
searching Australian sites and one of the horticulture sites said that
Muriate of Potash has 50% chlorine and to use Sulfate of Potash... However
the company that makes the Muriate of Potash does not list it as an
incredient...

Just thought I'd throw this is...

Jusitn.

Old 26-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
Hi all,

I may be a bit out of my league here... But I am also trying to source
K2SO4 and was excited when I found Muriate of Potash in a local brand
here in Australia. But I have been doing some more research on the net,
searching Australian sites and one of the horticulture sites said that
Muriate of Potash has 50% chlorine and to use Sulfate of Potash...
However the company that makes the Muriate of Potash does not list it as
an incredient...

Just thought I'd throw this is...

Jusitn.

KCl is the chemical formula for muriate of potash. Muriate is another
name for chloride salt so the chloride (not chlorine) wouldn't be listed
separately. K2S04 is preferred for planted tanks, but I've been using
Kent K, which is KCl and getting nice results.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 26-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Justin

It must be different here in Australia... Here is the part where I got this
from on the australia horticulture site...

3) Dump Muriate of Potash:

Muriate contains 50% microbe-killing chlorine. Sulfate of Potash may be more
expensive, but most Queensland soils are sulfur deficient, and this benefit
should be factored into the cost difference. It is always difficult to
quantify microbe damage, because the organisms are not visible, but there is
ample, visible evidence when we consider earthworms: NTS have collected
several reports of reduced earthworm numbers following prolonged use of
Muriate. Leading American consultants cite cases where this phenomenon is
reversed. Earthworms tend to return following a switch from muriate of
Potash to Sulfate of potash.

Just thought it might be a bit dangerous in aquariums...

Thanks

Justin.

"Elaine T" wrote in message
. ..

Old 26-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Elaine T

Justin wrote:
[...]

Using the word "chlorine" rather than "chloride ion" for Cl- (half of
muriate of potash) is incorrect in any form of the English language.
Rocco explained this in excellent detail. On a simplistic level,
earthworms probably prefer sulfate to something very similar to table
salt since salt tends to dry them out.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__