Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Aqua

Default Pomacea bridgesii Eggs

Today morning when I opened my hood to feed the fish, I saw a mother snail
was in the processing laying eggs. I dont want to keep all of them. But may
be 5 to 10 baby snails. Someone please let me know

* Can I just remove all the eggs and place in a jar or something with some
plants. Will it hatch in that way?
* How many days will it take to hatch?
* How may will survive?

BTW I already started reading http://www.applesnail.net/

http://www.dlink.org/aqua/image/snail_w_eggs.jpg
http://www.dlink.org/aqua/image/snail_eggs.jpg
--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 08-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Jim & Linda Brown

midposted

Aqua wrote in message
Today morning when I opened my hood to feed the fish, I saw a mother snail
was in the processing laying eggs. I dont want to keep all of them. But

may
be 5 to 10 baby snails. Someone please let me know

* Can I just remove all the eggs and place in a jar or something with some
plants. Will it hatch in that way?

They can be removed. A jar might not do them any good. They are dependent
on some air circulation and adequate humidity. Fish farms remove the
casings, sit them on quarter inch mesh suspended over vats, where the babies
can grow.

* How many days will it take to hatch?

Variable based on temperature and humidity. Don't have my snail book as it
is out on loan. That applesnail site should have some info. If I remember
correctly, the batches hatching in our fish room are at least 2 weeks old.

* How may will survive?

Most if they are not damaged or allowed to get too dry.

BTW I already started reading http://www.applesnail.net/

Jim

Old 08-03-2003, 07:57 PM
LeighMo

* Can I just remove all the eggs and place in a jar or something with some
plants. Will it hatch in that way?

No. You can scrape the eggs off carefully with a razor blade. But if you put
them in water, the embryos will drown. And if they aren't near water, they'll
dry out. There's a reason the mother snail lays them above the water line.

Instead, get a gallon jar, fill it partway with water, and suspend the eggs
above the water. Use a piece of netting, such as onions are sold in. Secure
it with a rubber band. You want the baby snails to be able to drop through the
netting into the water when they hatch. Then put a piece of plastic wrap over
the top of the jar and netting, to keep the eggs from drying out.

The babies can be raised in the jar for awhile, until they get too big.
They'll eat the same things their parents eat.

* How many days will it take to hatch?

Two weeks or so. If they haven't hatched in two weeks, you can help them alone
by gently breaking the eggs open with your fingers. Sometimes the eggs dry out
and get so hard the baby snails can't break out on their own.

* How may will survive?

Depends on how well you care for them. :-)

Fifty or a hundred isn't unusual.

Leigh