Old 08-03-2003, 05:34 PM
Aqua

Default Varieties of Plants in your tanks

Hello Group,

Just wondering how many varieties of plants you generally keep in your tank.

Do you think its too much to have 26 (+ 2 unknown) varieties in a 55 USGal
tank.
(http://www.dlink.org/aqua, Click Stock, Flora)

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 10-03-2003, 04:32 AM
Bugbear

I try to stay with less than a hand full of plants in a tank. Right
now I have only 10 in a 75g. Its a mix of a few reds to add color.
Anyway, I think its better to concentrate on a smaller number.

good luck

Old 10-03-2003, 12:08 PM
LeighMo

I try to stay with less than a hand full of plants in a tank. Right
now I have only 10 in a 75g. Its a mix of a few reds to add color.
Anyway, I think its better to concentrate on a smaller number.

Yeah, I agree. Amano shows this beautifully in his photos.

Unfortunately, most of us don't have very many tanks, and we want to keep all
kinds of plants, so end up with two dozen different species crammed in each
tank. g

Unless you've very experienced, I do think you should start out with a wide
variety of plants. It's not easy to predict which plants will do well in which
tank. Sometimes, even if you choose plants that are supposed to do well with
your pH, hardness, temperature, lighting, etc., they don't make it. And
sometimes plants that supposedly won't grow in your conditions do just fine.
If you get a lot of different kinds, you're bound to find some which thrive for
you.

In addition, some plants may turn out to be more work than you want to do.
That beautiful Cabomba that grows an inch a day may be thrilling at first, but
after a few months, you may get tired of pruning and replanting it twice a
week. So wait awhile before you thin your selection. After a few months, you
may come to appreciate lower-maintenance plants, even if they aren't as
striking.

Leigh

Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Dave Millman

LeighMo wrote:

[...]

I second Leigh's ideas. Beginners benefit from an assortment because they achieve
success with at least some of the plants early, even if some die. Intermediates (I
include myself in this group) are continually experimenting to learn:

* which grow too fast, and require too much maintenance
* which create imbalance in your tank by sucking out all the ferts
* which look good or bad with your other plants

Old 12-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Aqua

Just wondering how many varieties of plants you generally keep in your tank.

Do you think its too much to have 26 (+ 2 unknown) varieties in a 55 USGal
tank. (http://www.dlink.org/aqua, Click Stock, Flora)

After reading the "Nature World Aquarium Book 1", I am convinced that
30 varieties are not too much for a 55 Gal tank. But still I am going
to remove few super fast stem plants.
Book author mentioned to have 10 variety for a small tank and 100+
varieties for a much larger tank.

Regards
Dominic

Old 13-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Phil Dietz

(Aqua) wrote in message . com...
Just wondering how many varieties of plants you generally keep in your tank.

Do you think its too much to have 26 (+ 2 unknown) varieties in a 55 USGal
tank. (
http://www.dlink.org/aqua, Click Stock, Flora)

Phyll at trueaquariumplants.com puts 30 plants in their 55 gallon
plant assortment kits...

http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/pl...quarium&id=266

So 26 is probably right.

I have 11 in my 10 gallon.
Old 14-03-2003, 02:08 AM
E. Mito

In article ,
(Phil Dietz) writes:

Just wondering how many varieties of plants you generally keep in your

tank.

Do you think its too much to have 26 (+ 2 unknown) varieties in a 55

USGal
tank. (
http://www.dlink.org/aqua, Click Stock, Flora)

Phyll at trueaquariumplants.com puts 30 plants in their 55 gallon
plant assortment kits...

http://www.trueaquariumplants.com/pl...quarium&id=266

There are 30 plants total, but only 14 varieties (if I counted right).

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 14-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Eric Schreiber

mallfry (E. Mito) wrote:

There are 30 plants total, but only 14 varieties (if I counted right).
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

I would kill for the success you're having with your tank - it's
gorgeous. I'm having no end of trouble (but then, I'm having a lot of
fun fussing with it, too) with my plants.

At this point I'm mostly generating a long list of the plants that
don't work in my tank. The only successes I've had, and they're
limited, is with Anubias Nana, a Red Melon Sword, and Water Wisteria.
Everything else is a train wreck in progress.

Grrr.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 14-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Rich Conley

poor eric....wierd...my melon wont grow...little bast*rd....sits there
refusing to grow...while my amazon keeps trying to get out of the
tank...lol..

Old 14-03-2003, 08:44 PM
E. Mito

In article , Eric Schreiber
writes:

At this point I'm mostly generating a long list of the plants that
don't work in my tank. The only successes I've had, and they're
limited, is with Anubias Nana, a Red Melon Sword, and Water Wisteria.
Everything else is a train wreck in progress.

Eric,

I visited your website and looked at your tank notes -- if you just upped your
lighting less than a month ago, it might be that your plants are still
adjusting and that what failed for you before the light upgrade might now
work...? I think you just have to be a little patient -- I had to go through a
really ugly algae period before my tank cleared up and started looking nice. I
would estimate that it took 3 months before my tank started to look like the
way I wanted it to.