Old 10-03-2003, 07:24 AM
Poe Lim

Default Treating water

How are you treating water for your larger tanks? Currently I only need to
store 12L of water per water change (for 25% change), this is not a problem,
as I run it through a 2 stage filter, and leave it in the bucket overnight.
But in the anticipated larger setup, the 25% change works out at 50L, and I
don't particularly want multiple buckets around. So are you just filling
your tank and putting in the dechlor, or is it buckets?

--
Cheers,
Poe

to send email, add "email" to the end of oz

Old 10-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Tasslehoff

I think some people here use Pythons for larger size tanks which are
basically just long hoses pumping water from your faucet into the tank. If
you live in Melbourne this setup would be fine, just adding a bit of stress
coat/chlorine remover to the tank. Sydney might be a different matter with
higher chlorine levels. Not sure about the other states but otherwise you
could just get a couple of big empty pickle buckets from your local Maccas
and use a brief bleach, vinegar and then water soak them for a few days and
then use them to aerate water overnight for your tank.

Old 10-03-2003, 11:56 AM
LeighMo

So are you just filling
your tank and putting in the dechlor, or is it buckets?

I just put it in the tank via a Python. Dechlor works instantly, so as long as
you put it in the at the beginning, you'll be fine. My tap water is very high
in chlorine, and I've never had a problem.

Leigh

Old 10-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Bob A

You've gotten suggestions from some more knowledgeable people than me, but I
have to use an RO unit due to well-water toxins, and I store it in a large
(never used) garbage can. Keeps enough for a 15-20g change in a 55g tank.
(The water at the bottom is difficult to get out.)

bob

Old 10-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Christopher

python gravel vac is your best investment if you can draw the water out of
your tank...it makes cleaning your tank and doing water changes a breeze...
www.drsfostersmith.com sells them a lot cheaper than LFS's
basicallly its just a hose that goes to your sink, the python can go in two
modes, sucking (for gravel vac and water change) and pumping (to replace
water), BEST $30 I ever spent.

Old 10-03-2003, 07:45 PM
Dave Millman

Bob A wrote:

I have to use an RO unit due to well-water toxins, and I store it in a large
(never used) garbage can. Keeps enough for a 15-20g change in a 55g tank.
(The water at the bottom is difficult to get out.)

bob

A water pump meant for a water fountain works great. Just leave it in the bottom
of the can. I use mine to mix the minerals while in the can, and to pump water
down the long hose from the closet to the tanks. Drop a heater in the can and
you have a complete water treatment system.