Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default My first crow portrait

The illusive crow. Always wary. Never lets me get close enough to do a
picture. This time I spotted one on the back fence rail while I was inside
the house and shot him through a rain-spotted window.

--
Paddy's pig
-----------------

To reply it's bell not bull

Attached Thumbnails
My first crow portrait-my-first-crow-portrait.jpg
Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
The illusive crow.

"illusive"? I don't think so. Shoulda been elusive.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

The illusive crow. Always wary. Never lets me get close enough to do a
picture. This time I spotted one on the back fence rail while I was inside
the house and shot him through a rain-spotted window.

You did well. :-)

I am rather fond of crows...

Maybe if you feed them, they will learn to not be afraid of you?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

"Padraig" wrote in message
The illusive crow.

"illusive"? I don't think so. Shoulda been elusive.

Funny, I did not even notice. ;-)

I spend so much time on usenet, I've learned to pretty much ignore typos
and misspells.

Fortunately, the upgraded version of MT has a built in spell checker, so
that has helped me. G

We knew what you meant.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
The illusive crow. Always wary. Never lets me get close enough to do a
picture. This time I spotted one on the back fence rail while I was
inside the house and shot him through a rain-spotted window.

--
Paddy's pig
-----------------

To reply it's bell not bull

You could take a photo of a rusty wrought iron fence and it would come out
good. Wait, you did! The bird looks cool, too. And I think it looks
better than if it were perched on a lovely branch. Kinds of looks like half
of Hekyll and Jekyll.

Steve

Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 AM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote:
The illusive crow. Always wary. Never lets me get close enough to do a
picture. This time I spotted one on the back fence rail while I was inside
the house and shot him through a rain-spotted window.

--
Paddy's pig
-----------------

To reply it's bell not bull

[ My first crow portrait.jpg ] (Attachment)

That's something to - ahem - crow about! You're right - they don't let me get
to within a hundred feet of them if they see me coming.

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 01:43 AM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

That's something to - ahem - crow about! You're right - they don't let me
get
to within a hundred feet of them if they see me coming.

Bill

IIRC, a biology teacher that was raised on a farm said that a crow could
count. But only to three, IIRC. So, if two guys went into a blind and one
left, the crows would know that someone was still in there. He said that
they would have to take at least one more guy than the crows could count to,
then some would leave, and the crows would come around again, thinking they
all had left.

Don't know if this is true or not.

Steve

Old 11-12-2006, 05:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Steve B" wrote:
That's something to - ahem - crow about! You're right - they don't let me
get
to within a hundred feet of them if they see me coming.

Bill

IIRC, a biology teacher that was raised on a farm said that a crow could
count. But only to three, IIRC. So, if two guys went into a blind and one
left, the crows would know that someone was still in there. He said that
they would have to take at least one more guy than the crows could count to,
then some would leave, and the crows would come around again, thinking they
all had left.

Don't know if this is true or not.

Steve

All birds in the corvid family (that includes, ravens, crows and jays, among
others) are very smart. ravens and blue jays are tool users! ravens can solve
puzzles, and it's been shown that they can VISUALIZE how to solve a puzzle even
if the puzzle was removed before they could initially solve it!

Bill
Old 11-12-2006, 10:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
"Padraig" wrote in message
The illusive crow.

"illusive"? I don't think so. Shoulda been elusive.

I thought it was a clever play on words :-)

Mary

Old 12-12-2006, 04:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.backyard.critters,alt.binaries.birds,alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

The illusive crow. Always wary. Never lets me get close enough to do a
picture. This time I spotted one on the back fence rail while I was inside
the house and shot him through a rain-spotted window.

Good one!
eldritch