Old 01-04-2007, 05:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Default Do You Like - Lichens_4993.jpg

On the trunk of an old cherry tree in our back yard.

"Lichens are symbiotic associations of a fungus (the mycobiont) with a
photosynthetic partner (the photobiont also known as the phycobiont)
that can produce food for the lichen from sunlight...The
photosynthetic partner can exist in nature independently of the fungal
partner, but not vice versa. Furthermore, photobiont cells are
routinely destroyed in the course of nutrient exchange. The
association is able to continue because photobiont cells reproduce
faster than they are destroyed."

"Although the form of a lichen is determined by the genetic material
of the fungal partner, association with a photobiont is required for
the development of that form... Some survive in the tough conditions
of deserts, and others on frozen soil of the arctic regions. Recent
ESA research shows that lichen can even endure extended exposure to
space."

Wikipedia

Canon 10D
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Do You Like - Lichens_4993.jpg-lichens_4993.jpg
Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

John wrote:

[...]

Nice shot and thanks for the info. It was very educational
Bob Williams

Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

John - Pa. wrote in message
On the trunk of an old cherry tree in our back yard.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!11

Where's my dyepot ...

Mary

Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

Interesting stuff John. I have noticed that in most areas where orchids
grow in the wild there is
always lichen & or moss close by.?.
Cheers Wendy

Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens,alt.binaries.photos.original

In message ,
writes

On the trunk of an old cherry tree in our back yard.

I like them and the photo's top quality too.

--
Sue ]

[IMG] code is On

Are you 'old'? (Sod all to do with gardening, so if you don't like it ......don't open it) 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 20 11-10-2009 04:37 PM
Do the rest of you gardeners ever feel like kicking back after you get done in the yard? Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 8 06-03-2009 06:02 PM
you mean like this Mick Jim S Orchids 0 13-06-2003 01:56 AM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Could you get shot of Saddam at the same time Gorgeous George United Kingdom 0 22-03-2003 09:56 PM
Would you all like to get rid of Gorgeous George? Little Badger United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 09:44 PM