Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default I'm in love with a hummingbird (no photo)

This afternoon I was out back reading. Earlier in the day I had bought a
fancy new hummingbird feeder to replace the old "flying saucer" shaped
thingy you've all seen in some of my photographs. I had done it because it
has only one feeding station and I thought that would make it easier to get
more consistent results, photographically.

Unfortunately the hummers loathed it. After I hung up the new one I had
placed the old saucer shaped gizmo on my patio table and pretty much
forgotten about it. As I was reading at the table I heard a familiar buzz
over to my left and turned to face a young female Anna's hummer who was
hovering above the old feeder and looking at me. It was like she was saying
"Please mister - we hate this new thing, can I have some nectar out of the
old one on the table?"

Well, how do ya turn down a request like that?

I picked up the old feeder and held it out to her and she sat down on the
rail and sipped for a while and then popped her head up and looked at me.
We continued this for maybe 3 - 4 minutes. Nice little meeting. I was
talking to her all the while and named her Lisa and said if she had a
brother I was going to name him Bart.

She finally left, but then came back 20 minutes later and we did it all over
again.

Do I have any pictures to prove all this?

No. I was all alone in the patio. I'm the guy who was holding the feeder -
not the guy who should have been shooting pics of the events.

But we had a real breakthrough moment. She knows I have no bad intentions
now. Maybe we can do it all over again tomorrow --- and maybe I can get my
wife to make a couple of shots to prove it happened!
--
Paddy's Pig
------------

Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Padraig" wrote in message
news
Thanks for that, it's a lovely story!

Mary

Old 07-04-2007, 05:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

[...]

Your hummingbrats are learning to trust you... :-)

That's very cool, and I'll bet she just charmed you into total
submission... Wear bright shirts.

When our feeders ran low, the hummers used to hover at the side, front
picture and kitchen windows to get mom to come and fill them. They also
buzzed around her during the chore.

They are remarkably smart!

I'm thrilled for ya!
--