Old 13-04-2007, 08:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Whazzit?

It was real breezy today so I cut a few twigs from a tree with a ton of
these blooms and shot them inside. Thus, the black background.
They look like little Azaleas but the tree was 15 feet tall. Not a bush.
They also look a little like orchids but obviously they are not.
A local called them pink magnolias.
Any ather ideas?
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Whazzit?-p1040209-em.jpg
Old 13-04-2007, 03:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:
It was real breezy today so I cut a few twigs from a tree with a ton of
these blooms and shot them inside. Thus, the black background.
They look like little Azaleas but the tree was 15 feet tall. Not a bush.
They also look a little like orchids but obviously they are not.
A local called them pink magnolias.
Any ather ideas?
Bob Williams

where are you gardening? just to let you know..........Azaleas can grow
to be more than twenty feet tall, looking like bushy, scraggly trees.
They sure LOOK like Azaleas...........the wild one here in Eastern
Tennessee called Flame Azalea gets about 16 to 18 feet
tall............Magnolia's bear chalice like, upright to outwards facing
pink, white (star like), pinkish white, an unusual new yellow one, plum,
deep pink and what people don't realize is a magnolia, the tulip poplar
has yellow with orange flame brush marks at the base of the petals
flowers. What you've taken a picture of sure looks like Azalea, and
even clusters of Rhododendrons (same family as Azalea) have their
blossoms that are trumpet like with long stamen and pistils that look
like this as well. I'd hesitate a good solid confirmation that you've
got a great picture of Azalea.........locals calling it pink magnolia
would be what? Alabaman's? Georgians? Tennesseans? Texans? Californians?
Ohioians? Michiganders? Floridians? where you at Bob?
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Attached Thumbnails
Whazzit?-copy-3-22-2007-053.jpg
Old 14-04-2007, 01:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

madgardener wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

I live in San Diego, CA.
When I lived in Houston TX., I had a Pink Magnolia (an 8' spindly tree)
that looked like what you described. It looked kinda like a Pink Tulip.
but larger.

Thanks for your quick response........Bob Williams

Old 15-04-2007, 07:36 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:

It was real breezy today so I cut a few twigs from a tree with a ton of
these blooms and shot them inside. Thus, the black background.
They look like little Azaleas but the tree was 15 feet tall. Not a bush.
They also look a little like orchids but obviously they are not.
A local called them pink magnolias.
Any ather ideas?
Bob Williams

I revisited the tree where I got these blooms and noted that although
there were
many hundreds of flowers on the tree, there were virtually no leave present.
Not like a typical Azalea Bush which has lots of leaves and flowers at
the same time.
Still Puzzled in San Diego.........Bob Williams

Old 15-04-2007, 08:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

It was real breezy today so I cut a few twigs from a tree with a ton
of these blooms and shot them inside. Thus, the black background.
They look like little Azaleas but the tree was 15 feet tall. Not a bush.
They also look a little like orchids but obviously they are not.
A local called them pink magnolias.
Any ather ideas?
Bob Williams

I revisited the tree where I got these blooms and noted that although
there were
many hundreds of flowers on the tree, there were virtually no leave
present.
Not like a typical Azalea Bush which has lots of leaves and flowers at
the same time.
Still Puzzled in San Diego.........Bob Williams

After viewing V_Coerulea'a "Deciduous Azalea" (above) and Googling on
that plant, I'm almost certain that is what these flowers are.
The tree loses its leaves at a certain time of year while the flowers
care still present.
Bob Williams

Old 17-04-2007, 05:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Bob Williams wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

[...]

Here is what the leaf looks like.
It was a LOT greener when I picked it 4 hours earlier.
You could almost watch the leaf turn brown as it sat on the table.
Bob Williams

Attached Thumbnails
Whazzit?-p1040221-em.jpg
Old 18-04-2007, 05:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
how how is offline

"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Hi,
Bauhinia purpurea, sometimes called Hong Kong Orchid tree but this one has
seed pods and the real HKO (Bauhinia blakenea) has none.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 19-04-2007, 09:29 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

how wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message

Hi,
Bauhinia purpurea, sometimes called Hong Kong Orchid tree but this one has
seed pods and the real HKO (Bauhinia blakenea) has none.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Yep! That's it.
The unusual leaf cinched it.