Old 22-05-2007, 05:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Spring flowers

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:22:42 -0700, "pe.rhodes"
wrote:

ditto, although that's a bramble in the middle of it.

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
This one is a European Huckleberry, and it grows wild around here, even on
the beach dunes in sand.

I thought maybe Geranium robertianum, hard to tell from the picture
though.
Also - why do you think the Huckleberry is introduced, the picture looks
like the native Vaccinium ovatum, and I believe you have some other
species up there
--

09=ix
Old 22-05-2007, 06:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

While I can tolerate "Evergreen Huckleberry", I am afraid that "California
Huckleberry" offends me, being born here in Washington, and attending UW.
Every time I hear "California" the hair stands up on the back of my neck...
Whilst "European...." doesn't have that effect

Old 22-05-2007, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
This one is a European Huckleberry, and it grows wild around here,
even on
the beach dunes in sand.

I thought maybe Geranium robertianum, hard to tell from the picture
though.
Also - why do you think the Huckleberry is introduced, the picture
looks
like the native Vaccinium ovatum, and I believe you have some other
species up there

No one mentioned California.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 22-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Mon, 21 May 2007 18:33:29 -0700, "pe.rhodes"
wrote:

Sometimes, we just dig up a patch of the yard, put it in a hanging bucket
that has lost it's origional occupant, and voila!

That works...I like the moss, makes it look like it was growing there
forever
--

09=ix
Old 22-05-2007, 10:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
This one is a European Huckleberry, and it grows wild around here, even
on
the beach dunes in sand.

At Westport, Washington State, 125 degrees west, 47 degrees north (or
so...)

Blackberry vine, wild strawberry, and what I think is filaree, a
species of Erodium. We use one kind of Erodium as a weed in
California. I don't know which kind, though.

The pink flower is Herb Robert in Britain. Also known as Death-come-quickly,
Robin's eye, Robin hood, Robin-i'-th'-hedge, Stinking Bob, Stinker Bobs,
Wren flower. It's a wild geranium.

Mary

Mary