Old 14-06-2007, 06:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Tiger Lily - 1 attachment

My fav flower because it's the one I can get free in ditches and along
railrad tracks and on the edge of creeks.

Attached Thumbnails
Tiger Lily - 1 attachment-tiger-lily-4.jpg
Old 14-06-2007, 06:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

i had a landscaper once who refused to put daylillies on my property, as
they were not "indigenous" to wisconsin.

i fired the snob!

Old 15-06-2007, 01:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"readandpostrosie" wrote in news:46717cfb$0$28206
:

i had a landscaper once who refused to put daylillies on my property, as
they were not "indigenous" to wisconsin.

i fired the snob!

Good! How many plants can you enjoy for their looks AND their taste? I
love 'em.

I had about 200 of them where I used to live. When they were blooming
there were dozens of hummingbirds around all day long. The new owner mowed
them all to the ground. He said they were weeds because they grew
everywhere. He planted crappy little annuals instead. Dumbass.
Old 15-06-2007, 02:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

FragileWarrior expounded:

I had about 200 of them where I used to live. When they were blooming
there were dozens of hummingbirds around all day long. The new owner mowed
them all to the ground. He said they were weeds because they grew
everywhere. He planted crappy little annuals instead. Dumbass.

Truly a dumbass!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 21-06-2007, 05:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:27:41 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

My fav flower because it's the one I can get free in ditches and along
railrad tracks and on the edge of creeks.

Except that it's a daylily, not a tiger lily...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com

Old 21-06-2007, 02:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Gerry D (Canada)" wrote in
:

wrote:

My fav flower because it's the one I can get free in ditches and along
railrad tracks and on the edge of creeks.

Except that it's a daylily, not a tiger lily...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com

shrug Tiger lily and daylily were used interchangeably back home. Here
in Indiana they are ditch lilies.
Old 21-06-2007, 03:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

My fav flower because it's the one I can get free in ditches and along
railrad tracks and on the edge of creeks.

Except that it's a daylily, not a tiger lily...

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com

shrug Tiger lily and daylily were used interchangeably back home. Here
in Indiana they are ditch lilies.

Over the years I've noticed that whether a flower is a true lily or a
daylily, hybrid or otherwise, if it's orange (with or without black spots)
somebody will call it "Tiger Lily"....presumably because tigers are orange
(and black). Maybe it's a good thing white tigers have been extremely rare
until recent times, or any white lily or daylily would get called a "White
Tiger Lily"! ;-)

In reality, there is only ONE species of lily that can *correctly* be called
a Tiger Lily, and that's Lilium tigrinum aka Lilium lancifolium.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards,
Rick

Old 22-06-2007, 01:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:00:27 GMT, "Radar" wrote:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
shrug Tiger lily and daylily were used interchangeably back home. Here
in Indiana they are ditch lilies.

Over the years I've noticed that whether a flower is a true lily or a
daylily, hybrid or otherwise, if it's orange (with or without black spots)
somebody will call it "Tiger Lily"....presumably because tigers are orange
(and black). Maybe it's a good thing white tigers have been extremely rare
until recent times, or any white lily or daylily would get called a "White
Tiger Lily"! ;-)

In reality, there is only ONE species of lily that can *correctly* be called
a Tiger Lily, and that's Lilium tigrinum aka Lilium lancifolium.
http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Regards,
Rick

Indeed, Rick.

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com

[IMG] code is On

Tiger Lily 4 - 1 attachment FragileWarrior Garden Photos 2 15-06-2007 11:09 AM
Tiger Lily 3 - 1 attachment FragileWarrior Garden Photos 0 14-06-2007 06:28 PM
Tiger Lily 2 - 1 attachment FragileWarrior Garden Photos 0 14-06-2007 06:28 PM
Tiger Lily spider Gardening 9 09-07-2003 02:56 AM
Problem - Nymphaea Maculata (red african tiger lotus lily) lynsey Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:20 AM