Old 16-06-2007, 10:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Poisonous plants - Datura inoxia.JPG (1/1)

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Not as pretty on a hot, sunny afternoon.

-----------------
-----------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg datura1.jpg (123.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 17-06-2007, 03:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

NO!! I am the first poster, but I do grow they our here in the Mojav Desert
and they ARE deadly, I've seen and watched mine and the ONLY thin that seems
to have a chance on them if I don't see'm 1st and kill them are the Great
Horned Tomato worm as I've found signs of them eathing the plant and then
foud the remains of their hiding place for their change, these where on WILD
ONES as they do grow out here that way!

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
AD World
http://www.adworld.netfirms.com/

"Amos Nomore" wrote in message
In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

Not as pretty on a hot, sunny afternoon.

begin 644 datura1.jpg

Is that not a Brugmansia? I used to grow them but they do suffer in the
heat and many of mine were heavily infested with spider mites and got
ratty looking. This year, waves of beetles have been attacking my
Daturas and setting them back quite a bit. They were very happy last
year; this one plant spread out about nine feet. I pull the faded
flowers every evening and sometimes get accosted by hawkmoths trying to
get to my handful of perfumy blooms.

-----------------
-----------------

Old 18-06-2007, 11:17 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Amos Nomore wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

Not as pretty on a hot, sunny afternoon.

Is that not a Brugmansia? I used to grow them but they do suffer in the
heat and many of mine were heavily infested with spider mites and got
ratty looking. This year, waves of beetles have been attacking my
Daturas and setting them back quite a bit. They were very happy last
year; this one plant spread out about nine feet. I pull the faded
flowers every evening and sometimes get accosted by hawkmoths trying to
get to my handful of perfumy blooms.

I don't know, Amos. I was given a small plant in the early 1960's. It is
very sturdy, lo these many years later. In truth, I don't know its variant.
It now thrives without being watered, so its tap root must be quite deep.
I've never noticed any insect infestations, but the bumblebees seem to love
them.

~Semper Fi~
Old 19-06-2007, 11:07 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Amos Nomore expounded:

Is that not a Brugmansia?

No, it's a Datura. Brug flowers hang down, Datura's point up.

As for the poisonous part, yes, they are. But so ar tomato and potato
leaves. Don't eat them. Don't let your kids eat them. Don't let
your pets eat them. I really get a kick out of some people raving and
wailing how poisonous they are - so are many other plants. Just be
careful and be educated.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 19-06-2007, 04:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Amos Nomore expounded:

Is that not a Brugmansia?

No, it's a Datura. Brug flowers hang down, Datura's point up.

Right, I was referring to the picture Nick posted.

As for the poisonous part, yes, they are. But so ar tomato and potato
leaves. Don't eat them. Don't let your kids eat them. Don't let
your pets eat them. I really get a kick out of some people raving and
wailing how poisonous they are - so are many other plants. Just be
careful and be educated.

They aren't at all pleasant to eat, so unintentional poisonings are
rare. People ingest Solanaceous alkaloids to alter consciousness
without knowing what they are getting into, and sometimes get into
serious trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12SZAyMp54

[IMG] code is On

Datura - poisonous hound United Kingdom 26 08-12-2009 03:45 PM
Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Poisonous plants - RicinusDatura.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 2 17-06-2007 07:12 AM
Datura inoxia in the news Towse Gardening 17 25-08-2003 02:12 PM
Datura - poisonous? trevor.appleton United Kingdom 3 16-06-2003 04:09 PM