Old 22-06-2007, 10:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Plant ID Please - 1 attachment

Please help with an ID of this lovely flower. Must have been donated by a
bird, and it's welcome to stay. I'd like to get some more of them - Thanks,
IM

Attached Thumbnails
Plant ID Please - 1 attachment-_rel5946post-id.jpg
Old 22-06-2007, 10:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Definitely a day lily, but I'm still searching for a name... stay tuned.
:-)

Old 22-06-2007, 11:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Imageman"
Please help with an ID of this lovely flower. Must have been donated by a
bird, and it's welcome to stay. I'd like to get some more of them -
Thanks,

Alstroemeria or Princess Lily and a rather nice self-seeded one at that.
Fully hardy perennial with a long flowering season that will gradually
increase in size, even move itself around the border over time, but is never
badly behaved. Classy garden plant.
They are available in a range of colours and heights, I have some that only
grow to 6 inches ** and another that grows to 4 or 5 ft.
** Flowers of the short ones are loved by slugs and snails so be warned.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-06-2007, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 16:37:10 -0500, Imageman None wrote:

Please help with an ID of this lovely flower. Must have been donated by a
bird, and it's welcome to stay. I'd like to get some more of them - Thanks,
IM

That is a beautiful lily. Wouldn't mind having some of those here.
Nice shot, thanks.

Old 23-06-2007, 11:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Also called Peruvian Lily, it is nevertheless NOT a lily and NOT hardy. In zone 8 perhaps,
but not in zone 3. They have tubers (true lilies have bulbs) that are treated like
dahlias.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstroemeria en
http://home.howstuffworks.com/define...ly-of-peru.htm for more info.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:02:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Imageman"
Please help with an ID of this lovely flower. Must have been donated by a
bird, and it's welcome to stay. I'd like to get some more of them -
Thanks,

Alstroemeria or Princess Lily and a rather nice self-seeded one at that.
Fully hardy perennial with a long flowering season that will gradually
increase in size, even move itself around the border over time, but is never
badly behaved. Classy garden plant.
They are available in a range of colours and heights, I have some that only
grow to 6 inches ** and another that grows to 4 or 5 ft.
** Flowers of the short ones are loved by slugs and snails so be warned.

Gerry Danen
http://www.lilyregister.com
Old 23-06-2007, 01:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Gerry D (Canada)" wrote ...
Also called Peruvian Lily, it is nevertheless NOT a lily and NOT hardy. In
zone 8 perhaps,
but not in zone 3. They have tubers (true lilies have bulbs) that are
treated like
dahlias.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstroemeria en
http://home.howstuffworks.com/define...ly-of-peru.htm for
more info.

The "Princess Lilies" are probably the best strain.

Hardiness, is always a problem when an Englishman talks about plants to an
American, to us it means it grows outside all year in our garden, might not
10 miles down the road, in the US you talk about climate zones which are
totally meaningless here.

In the UK they are considered hardy in the southern counties and some
favourable areas further North, certainly are in my area where we have had
them in flower during the winter. Our Dahlias stay where they are in the
winter too perhaps with a bit of mulch over them.
However I do realise parts of the N. American continent get considerably
colder winters with it below freezing for some weeks which is never the case
here now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-06-2007, 06:22 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Imageman" None wrote in message
1...
Please help with an ID of this lovely flower. Must have been donated by a
bird, and it's welcome to stay. I'd like to get some more of them -
Thanks,
IM

Alstroemeria. Check Google Images to see if you agree...

Cathy

Old 25-06-2007, 06:29 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

Fully hardy perennial with a long flowering season that will gradually
increase in size, even move itself around the border over time, but is never
badly behaved.

Never underestimate a plant's ability to make itself unwelcome, some of
the species are quite aggressive weeds here in coastal central
California.
--

09=ix
Old 26-06-2007, 08:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:02:13 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Gerry D (Canada)" wrote ...
[...]

Stick around, Bob - when global warming is well under way (Puppet
Bush's corporate denial notwithstanding) the present ocean
circulation will change, as has been explained in many science
programs and articles. The Gulf Stream will no longer warm the
sceptered isle, and you'll find out all about colder winters with
freezing temps.

Cassandra -- oops, Persephone