GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Reasons to grow lots of dill (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/160852-reasons-grow-lots-dill.html)

Ann 27-06-2007 09:16 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

2 Attachment(s)
These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

joevan[_2_] 27-06-2007 09:27 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:16:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!

I read somewhere that if you keep basil plants around, especially in
the kitchen, the flies go elsewhere. Anybody have a basis of fact for
that?

Mary Fisher 27-06-2007 09:43 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

"joevan" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:16:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!

I read somewhere that if you keep basil plants around, especially in
the kitchen, the flies go elsewhere. Anybody have a basis of fact for
that?

Certainly not. You should see the sticky yellow cards in my greenhouse!

Mary

joevan[_2_] 27-06-2007 10:05 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:43:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:16:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!

I read somewhere that if you keep basil plants around, especially in
the kitchen, the flies go elsewhere. Anybody have a basis of fact for
that?

Certainly not. You should see the sticky yellow cards in my greenhouse!

Mary

I had a lot of yellow cards in my greenhouse too. Also basil. Maybe I
should yell at Wholefoods for suggesting such. A ploy to sell their
overpriced basil plants perhaps? Or maybe if only basil plants were
there? ????

Mary Fisher 27-06-2007 10:30 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

"joevan" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:43:48 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"joevan" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:16:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!
I read somewhere that if you keep basil plants around, especially in
the kitchen, the flies go elsewhere. Anybody have a basis of fact for
that?

Certainly not. You should see the sticky yellow cards in my greenhouse!

Mary

I had a lot of yellow cards in my greenhouse too. Also basil. Maybe I
should yell at Wholefoods for suggesting such. A ploy to sell their
overpriced basil plants perhaps? Or maybe if only basil plants were
there? ????

Yebbut there are lots of flies on my cards :-) The basil hasn't kept them
away ...

Mary

Omelet 27-06-2007 11:13 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

In article ,
Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!

They can also be transferred over to parsley plants. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Patty Peeples 29-06-2007 05:07 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

Wow...they are cool looking.
Will they turn into Butterflies?
What kind?
Patty Peeples

Ann 30-06-2007 02:45 AM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

"Patty Peeples" expounded:

Wow...they are cool looking.
Will they turn into Butterflies?
What kind?
Patty Peeples

It'll be a black swallowtail. See here
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/johnson/hor...wallowtail.htm

readandpostrosie 01-07-2007 03:02 PM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

"Patty Peeples" wrote in message
Wow...they are cool looking.
Will they turn into Butterflies?
What kind?
Patty Peeples

"Ann" wrote in message

link?

Dave Fouchey 02-07-2007 02:23 AM

Reasons to grow lots of dill

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:16:11 -0400, Ann wrote:

These gorgeous guys (or gals!) show up if you grow dill. Grow lots
and you'll never miss what they eat!

Dill, Bronze or Green Fennel all do well for making Swallowtail
caterpillars happy!

Dave
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC