GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this? - 2 attachments (1/2) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/160887-re-what-2-attachments-1-2-a.html)

John - Pa. 29-06-2007 12:24 AM

What is this? - 2 attachments (1/2)

I grew these a few years ago too, I think they are Convolvulus 'Blue
Ensign'.

JD

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:33:37 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I think this is from a packet of mixed seeds that were supposed to produce
blue flowers. It's a cute little thing but I've never seen anything like
it before. It's maybe half or a third of the size of a Morning Glory but
it grows on a plant that looks almost like a Balsam. The flower comes out
on a thin stalk from where the leaf meets the stem. (Photo of that
included, too.)

FragileWarrior 29-06-2007 06:08 PM

John - Pa. wrote in :

I grew these a few years ago too, I think they are Convolvulus 'Blue
Ensign'.

JD

I'm startled to see Convolvulus called "Bindweed". It certainly looks a
little bit like the Bindweed that strangles gardens except it isn't a vine.
It must be a kissing cousin to that nasty little vine, huh?

Ann 30-06-2007 02:38 AM

What is this? - 2 attachments (1/2)

FragileWarrior expounded:

John - Pa. wrote in :

I grew these a few years ago too, I think they are Convolvulus 'Blue
Ensign'.

JD

I'm startled to see Convolvulus called "Bindweed". It certainly looks a
little bit like the Bindweed that strangles gardens except it isn't a vine.
It must be a kissing cousin to that nasty little vine, huh?

Yep, it is.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Robert Chehey 09-07-2007 06:17 AM

What is this? - 2 attachments (1/2)

I think John is very close. I believe it is C. tricolor "Royal
Ensign"

See:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/offices/bot...us/index.shtml

Robert L. Chehey
Boise, ID, USA, USDA Zone 7. Heat zone 7
Cold, Mediterranean Shrub-steppe (Köppen BSk )
and deciduous riparian forest
N43º38.67' W116º13.68' Altitude: 816M