GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   July 1 - Bird Seed Weed_5519.jpg (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/161100-july-1-bird-seed-weed_5519-jpg.html)

John - Pa. 01-07-2007 04:52 PM

July 1 - Bird Seed Weed_5519.jpg

1 Attachment(s)
We always have an interesting ecosystem develop under our bird feeder.
We often have corn and sunflowers come up, and here is an interesting
one that I also think may have started life as a bird seed, because I
have never seen it around here before.

Although the flowers are pleasant enough, this plant is truly ugly and
has a very nasty disposition. Not only does it have sharp thorns on
its stem, but you can see them on the flower buds and they are even on
the underside of the leaves. I definitely would not want to have to
run through a field of these.

JD

Canon 10D
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Padraig 01-07-2007 06:09 PM

July 1 - Bird Seed Weed_5519.jpg

John - Pa. wrote in message

Boy that thing really is wicked lookin' John.
--
Paddy's Pig

John - Pa. 01-07-2007 06:13 PM

July 1 - Bird Seed Weed_5519.jpg

I've never known a plant to have thorns on the underside of its
leaves. It must be really tasty to have such an extreme defense
mechanism.