Old 18-07-2007, 06:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Unknown flower growing on fishpond

In article ,
hungrycharley wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:00:54 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Cathy F." wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Very pretty, but IIRC, it's the plant that clogs up waterways something
fierce. IOW, seems to know no bounds, spreading.

Cathy

They crowd out native species but for sheer beauty, that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

I just don't think that they should restrict private ponds that have no
influence on native water ways.

Could birds spread the seeds? This is a common way of propagation for
many plants. Also, airborne seeds like dandelions. Just cause it can't
walk, doesn't mean it can't spread.
hc

The problem was that some morons tossed their overgrowth into the local
river. Eradication was expensive, but eventually successful.

(San Marcos, Texas USA).
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 06:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:37:16 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

Could birds spread the seeds? This is a common way of propagation for
many plants. Also, airborne seeds like dandelions. Just cause it can't
walk, doesn't mean it can't spread.
hc

The problem was that some morons tossed their overgrowth into the local
river. Eradication was expensive, but eventually successful.

(San Marcos, Texas USA).

Ah! Now I know the locale.
I know the provenance of several of the contributors to this ng but
often it is a bit of a mystery. Sometimes the photographic subjects
give the clue, but sometimes not. Should we have a convention about
identifying a contributor's locale?
alt.binaries.pictures.rail has a nice convention that most posts are
prefixed with the country of origin (US, UK, Cy(work that one out),
etc.), but that is about the subject, not the photographer.
Just a thought.

Guy Gorton
Old 18-07-2007, 07:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Servers can be traced... :-)

But in this case, it was relevant.
The San Marcos river is unique.

There are also a few humoungous goldfish living in the river, but since
they are not breeding, they are causing no ecological impact. g
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 07:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:03:36 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Not all that reliably. One frequent user of a fangroup I sometimes
read telnets her material to a server in Florida for posting. She
lives in Taiwan.

hungrycharley

Old 18-07-2007, 07:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
hungrycharley wrote:

Servers can be traced... :-)

Not all that reliably. One frequent user of a fangroup I sometimes
read telnets her material to a server in Florida for posting. She
lives in Taiwan.

hungrycharley

She's better than me... g
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

[IMG] code is On

Oak in fishpond George Ponds 0 13-03-2006 09:00 AM
pH in watergarden/fishpond Tony Rivas Gardening 3 22-06-2004 06:04 PM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond Markb United Kingdom 17 20-04-2004 11:02 AM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond and Make Sure your Fish are Healthy and Happy Markb Ponds (alternative) 1 16-04-2004 09:04 AM