Old 18-07-2007, 05:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Unknown flower growing on fishpond

Attached Thumbnails
Unknown flower growing on fishpond-unknown-flower-growing-koi-pond.jpg
Old 18-07-2007, 05:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:25:03 -0700, "Padraig"

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.
Old 18-07-2007, 05:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.

Thank you Charles. I will rename the file.
--
Paddy's Pig

Old 18-07-2007, 02:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 03:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Yes, because they are a foreign species, and have no natural limiter
here. We tend to focus on the ecological damage from foreign animal
species and forget that plants can be as bad and worse. See kudzu, which
was originally imported as an erosion cure.

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'

Old 18-07-2007, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:53:47 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.

Thank you Charles. I will rename the file.

Keep an eye on the plant. Spreads rapidly and can choke out other
growth.

Guy Gorton
Old 18-07-2007, 05:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Wolf wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Yes, because they are a foreign species, and have no natural limiter
here. We tend to focus on the ecological damage from foreign animal
species and forget that plants can be as bad and worse. See kudzu, which
was originally imported as an erosion cure.

Good example. ;-)

I just can't see that water Hyacinth in a private pond would be harmful.

I can see them having eradicated them from the river.

Too bad they don't get rid of all that Tarot if they are that worried
about "native plants" tho'.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
Guy Gorton wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:53:47 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.

Thank you Charles. I will rename the file.

Keep an eye on the plant. Spreads rapidly and can choke out other
growth.

Guy Gorton

And when you thin it, destroy it.

Don't toss it in the local river.

That's what got it outlawed here.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 05:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Very pretty, but IIRC, it's the plant that clogs up waterways something
fierce. IOW, seems to know no bounds, spreading.

Cathy

Old 18-07-2007, 05:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:30:58 +0100, Guy Gorton
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:53:47 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.

Thank you Charles. I will rename the file.

Keep an eye on the plant. Spreads rapidly and can choke out other
growth.

Guy Gorton

Except this year, for mine. They aren't proliferating the way they
usually do. I usually supply a small local nursery, they are out, and
mine aren't multiplying fast enough to replace his. Most years by
this time I am throwing away big bags of them.

Old 18-07-2007, 07:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

In article ,
"Cathy F." wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Very pretty, but IIRC, it's the plant that clogs up waterways something
fierce. IOW, seems to know no bounds, spreading.

Cathy

They crowd out native species but for sheer beauty, that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

I just don't think that they should restrict private ponds that have no
influence on native water ways.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 07:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:53:47 -0700, "Padraig"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Water hyacinth, Echinodora crassipes. They are attractive.

Thank you Charles. I will rename the file.

Keep an eye on the plant. Spreads rapidly and can choke out other
growth.

Guy Gorton

Except this year, for mine. They aren't proliferating the way they
usually do. I usually supply a small local nursery, they are out, and
mine aren't multiplying fast enough to replace his. Most years by
this time I am throwing away big bags of them.

Compost them. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 18-07-2007, 07:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:00:54 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

They crowd out native species but for sheer beauty, that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

I just don't think that they should restrict private ponds that have no
influence on native water ways.

No legislation on the topic here in the UK as far as I know. But it
is expensive if it gets into the wrong place.

Guy Gorton
Old 18-07-2007, 07:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:00:54 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article ,
"Cathy F." wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Padraig" wrote:

begin 666 Unknown flower growing on koi pond.jpg
[Image]

end

Water Hyacinth.

They are illegal to grow here.
Unfortunately. :-(

Very pretty, but IIRC, it's the plant that clogs up waterways something
fierce. IOW, seems to know no bounds, spreading.

Cathy

They crowd out native species but for sheer beauty, that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

I just don't think that they should restrict private ponds that have no
influence on native water ways.

Could birds spread the seeds? This is a common way of propagation for
many plants. Also, airborne seeds like dandelions. Just cause it can't
walk, doesn't mean it can't spread.
hc
Old 18-07-2007, 07:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.photos.original,alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

wrote:

They crowd out native species but for sheer beauty, that is not
necessarily a bad thing.

I just don't think that they should restrict private ponds that have no
influence on native water ways.

No legislation on the topic here in the UK as far as I know. But it
is expensive if it gets into the wrong place.

Guy Gorton

It is expensive (as far as fines go) if it's found in a back yard pond.

Same for Mystery snails.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

[IMG] code is On

Oak in fishpond George Ponds 0 13-03-2006 10:00 AM
offer:flower pot,Products including Ceramic Flower Pot,Imitate Porcelain Flower Pot,Wood Flower Pot,Stone Flower Pot,Imitate Stone Flower Pot,Hanging Flower Pot,Flower Pot Wall Hanging,Bonsai Pots,Root Carving&Hydroponics Pots [email protected] Texas 0 07-09-2004 07:55 PM
pH in watergarden/fishpond Tony Rivas Gardening 3 22-06-2004 07:04 PM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond Markb United Kingdom 17 20-04-2004 12:02 PM
How to Have the Ultimate Backyard Fishpond and Make Sure your Fish are Healthy and Happy Markb Ponds (alternative) 1 16-04-2004 10:04 AM