GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What on earth is this thing? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/garden-photos/162303-what-earth-thing.html)

Jane Doe 28-07-2007 05:10 PM

What on earth is this thing?

2 Attachment(s)
I purchased this plant as a seedling, the tag said Watermelon 'Charleston
Gray'. The tag said that they are oblong and grow up to 25lbs each.

Mine have been in the soil since the end of May. The pictures that I'm
attaching are showing leaves, and the actual fruit. The growing habit is
similar to that of a cucumber but I don't believe that these are.

What is this thing? Is it a cucumber? A watermelon? Was it mislabeled?

-M

Ann 28-07-2007 05:17 PM

What on earth is this thing?

"Jane Doe" expounded:

I purchased this plant as a seedling, the tag said Watermelon 'Charleston
Gray'. The tag said that they are oblong and grow up to 25lbs each.

Mine have been in the soil since the end of May. The pictures that I'm
attaching are showing leaves, and the actual fruit. The growing habit is
similar to that of a cucumber but I don't believe that these are.

What is this thing? Is it a cucumber? A watermelon? Was it mislabeled?

It certainly looks like a cucumber, for some reason Armenian cuke
comes to mind.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

William Wagner[_2_] 28-07-2007 05:33 PM

What on earth is this thing?

In article PTJqi.442$2c6.329@trnddc01,
"Jane Doe" wrote:

I purchased this plant as a seedling, the tag said Watermelon 'Charleston
Gray'. The tag said that they are oblong and grow up to 25lbs each.

Mine have been in the soil since the end of May. The pictures that I'm
attaching are showing leaves, and the actual fruit. The growing habit is
similar to that of a cucumber but I don't believe that these are.

What is this thing? Is it a cucumber? A watermelon? Was it mislabeled?

-M

begin 666 ocean 030.jpg
[Image]

end

begin 666 ocean 031.jpg
[Image]

end

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/p...arch&search=lo
ng&item=333

One of the best firm cucumbers about in my opinion.

Enjoy!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

William Wagner[_2_] 28-07-2007 05:37 PM

What on earth is this thing?

In article
,

"Jane Doe" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps easier http://preview.tinyurl.com/2fq9g2

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Wolf 29-07-2007 01:44 AM

What on earth is this thing?

Jane Doe wrote:
I purchased this plant as a seedling, the tag said Watermelon 'Charleston
Gray'. The tag said that they are oblong and grow up to 25lbs each.

Mine have been in the soil since the end of May. The pictures that I'm
attaching are showing leaves, and the actual fruit. The growing habit is
similar to that of a cucumber but I don't believe that these are.

What is this thing? Is it a cucumber? A watermelon? Was it mislabeled?

-M

It sure _looks_ like a cucumber. Just pick one, slice it, ands taste it.
That should confirm it, one way or the other.

If it is a cuke, you can make delicious samwitches with it.

;-)

--
Wolf
'Just because it's true doesn't mean it's the right answer.'

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [1/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [2/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [3/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [4/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [5/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [6/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [7/8]

Buggy 29-07-2007 06:24 AM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [8/8]

Ann 29-07-2007 07:06 PM

What on earth is this thing? - watermelon.jpg [1/8] What on earth is this thing?

Buggy expounded:

Looks like maybe seeds were mixed. While it is evident that the large
plant is a cuke, there are also leaves of a watermelon plant in the
lower left of the attached picture. I highlighted it on your picture and
re-attached it.

Good catch! Yep, those are watermelon leaves.

jOhN 29-07-2007 11:08 PM

What on earth is this thing?

Jane Doe wrote:
I purchased this plant as a seedling, the tag said Watermelon 'Charleston
Gray'. The tag said that they are oblong and grow up to 25lbs each.

Mine have been in the soil since the end of May. The pictures that I'm
attaching are showing leaves, and the actual fruit. The growing habit is
similar to that of a cucumber but I don't believe that these are.

What is this thing? Is it a cucumber? A watermelon? Was it mislabeled?

-M

OMG, it's a new remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers!! or a cucumber